125 force problems

kannuki

Seaman
I have a 1987 cajun with a 1987 force 125 it has no out of the hole pull. i can slam the throttle forward and it takes awhile for it to build up to speed wven then my top speed is only 30 mph it wont even pull an 160 lb skier up. someone told me to use sea-foam in the gas tank that this would help has anyone used it does it work? could this be my only problem that i need to clean the system out or could it be something else?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 125 force problems

Have you checked spark?Have you checked compression?Is the throttle opening all the way?<br />Has it ever performed correctly?Does it seem to be running on all cylinders?<br /> If you are going to work on your motor get a service manual.They are available at the library<br />the tab at the top of the page,amazon.com,NAPA,<br /> ebay,etc.

DD214

Cadet

Have your carbs been cleaned? I also have a 1987 125. I cleaned the carbs twice and still had problems getting to top speed. I went to an auto parts store and picked up a gallon of carb dip. You wouldn't believe the "JUNK" that came out of that thing. It ran great until the stator went out and I lost two plugs. Now waiting on new stator to arive to see if that is the only other problem.

kannuki

Seaman

all 4 cylinders are firing but #3 lookies kinda weak could it be the coil pack going out? i just got the boat so it has ran like this since i got it. my prop size is a 13x17. also i broke my exhaust snout today when i took it out and it ran really bad after that will breaking that cause that many problems i could only hit 20 after it broke.i dont think anything else happened..i havent had a compression test cause i cant find any on that can do one.

WAKERIDER

Recruit

I have a 1986 125 force and it does the same thing. I'm taking it in july 31st can let you know what they find on mine.

ewaltb

Seaman

DD214 is right about cleaning the carbs. Dip them an let them soak over night. Just amke sure to pull off anything that is rubber or plastic.<br />Also, have you checked your fuel pump diaghram. I had a problem the first summer I bought the boat, trying to get it to get to WOT. It wouldn't because I had a large hole in the pump diaghram. Just a simple check to eliminate one more thing. Plus, make sure your fuel filter is clean. This effected my performance a few times.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

I have an 88 Bayliner 19.5 foot with an 88 Force 125HP engine on it. I had the same types of problems where it got to be running slower and slower over the years so this past spring I did a lot of Maintenance to it. Here is a post that has alot of information on what I did to my engine to get it up to the best its ever run: http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=17;t=013682 <br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox

DJestes

Cadet

I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. I launched the boat and I started to accelerate and I could not even get out of my own way and my top speed was 25 and it certainly took a while to get there. I started poking around and relized it was not firering on all 4 cylinders. I started to remove the bad coil (so I thought) and bingo a wire to the CDM unit fell out. Try and pull slightly on your wiring connections to make sure they are in fact connected.

kannuki

Seaman

will the exhaust snout reduce performance if it is broken off?

homermcfarlane

Recruit

You must replace the exhaust snout, you'll be amazed at the difference. Now, exhaust is getting into the engine compartment and messing up your carburation.<br /><br />homer

kannuki

Seaman

anyone know where i can get one done a search on them and got no results they are kinda hard to find