120HP Ldrive-Jetting for elevation and RPM issues

hismajst

Seaman Apprentice
It has been awhile but I am still stuck with my L Drive. Call me insane, but I have grown a bit attached to it (yes I am twisted!!). It's just so darn easy to work on.These are my latest issues. The local Lake sits at 6050 ft. elevation. I have recieved conflicting info from several reliable sources as to the jetting of the top(main) and bottom carbs for this elevation. Anybody have any success/ideas on proper jetting for this elevation?? From what I have seen there is consistantly a .002 difference between top and bottom jets. I have noticed that it will not idle at the recommended adjustment, and I have had to turn it up ( 1 revolution over recommended setting)to keep it idling, but it smokes like a beast! Could this be related to the main jets not being correct?

Another question-at the Lake this last weekend I noticed that it started overcharging (16V plus) and the tach was reading into the 6000 rpm range. But when I hit it with a photo tach. it was realy in the 5000 rpm range. Is this a CDI issue,stator issue or what?? Then after about an hour and letting it sit (not running) at the marina for 10 minutes it just cured itself?!?!? I have heard that if you have rpm (tach) issues it is usualy related to the stator. Is this correct??Any ideas??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 120HP Ldrive-Jetting for elevation and RPM issues

4500'-6000'
Top carb .090
bottom carb .088

6000'-10,000
top carb .088
bottom carb .086

hismajst

Seaman Apprentice

Roscoe-you are the man!! Thanks! If the rain lets up here I will throw em in and test er this weekend. Any ideas on a rough idle issue?? I have the idle adjustment air/fuel ratio screw out one revolution over spec., and it will not idle at at recommended setting. Smokes like a beast. Would this have any relation to the main jets??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A good cleaning/rebuild of the carbs may be in order.

And poor idle is often attributed to a plugged up fuel recirculation system - all those little hoses that collect unburnt fuel and recycle it.

hismajst

Seaman Apprentice

Just pulled the bowls and found the main jets were BOTH .080!?!? Would this effect the idle too??