120 to 260 repower ?

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice
Some may have read about the coupler failing in my open bow 79 Galaxie 17'er w/120.<br /> I had planned on the repower before I even bought the boat because I like the way the boat looks (very nautical) and it has plenty of room for a V-8.<br /> It just doesnt make since to me to pull everything out,spend the $$$ fixing the coupler, and bolting the 120 back in just to pull it back out this winter.<br /> I have located a good running mid 80s 260hp Mercruiser w/Alpha turn-key/complete (still in boat and running)from a damaged Checkmate Enchanter for a fair deal and not far from home.<br /> I need tricks and pointers for this swap.<br /> Ill be converting to thru hull exauhst as I love the rummble of the all mighty V-8.<br /> Will I need to modify the transom for the swap from the pre Alpha to the Alpha 1 ?<br /> I will likely have several questions in the near future.<br /> I have a vandeta w/the woman I bought the boat from. Last week she had her Checkmate out running circles around us and laughing. <br /> Im gonna blow her away w/the boat she sold me.<br /> You would have to meet her to understand.<br /> Driven !!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 120 to 260 repower ?

As long as you move EVERYTHING, it should bolt right up. The transom cutout is the same and all.<br />Only thing you will have to change is the front motor mounts. The V8 are on the sides and should sit on the stringers, whereas the 120 sits on a front engine mount.

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice

Excellent !!! <br /> The project is under way and Ill be using my 82 Baja 190 w/built 460/Berkley w/B impeller for the next few weeks to get me through.<br /> I have a few smallblock Chevy friends that are hooking me up w/a few goodies for a ride on the boat when its done.<br /> I found a set of reworked 2:02 heads w/roller rockers and all the goodies to run 92 octane unleaded, Offy intake, 650 Demon carb, custom water logs, SS stainless tips w/muffs(Baja is 15 miles from me and surpluss parts are abundant), MSD billet marine distributor w/advance, vintage Offy alluminum valve covers, MSD 6-AL ignition, Holly fuel pump w/regulator, ect.... .<br /> All I am short is a mild cam and gaskets, but the increased ratio of the roller rockers alone will help even the stock cam.<br /> I should be in the range of 300+hp and major tourqe increases w/the stock cam and lookin good by the end of the month and back on the water w/it by mid September.<br /> Will the Alpha 1 handle the increase in power? <br /> I know for sure that I am going to put a new coupler and bearings in for sure before the final install after my recent experience.<br /> Are there any high performance couplers available , or will the stock replacement part do the trick as long as I get it all alighned correctly ?<br /> Sorry to ask these questions that probably get asked all the time , but I want to get it right the first time.<br /> Thanx in advance,<br />B.King

Don S

You're gonna have problems with that drive. 300 was the advertised max HP number for the Alpha I Gen II drive from 91 and newer. The older ones just won't take it.<br />The owner where I work (as a marine mechanic) built up a 350 with all the good stuff and was into the drive about once a month. new gears, bearings, etc. But when it worked, he made that old 24' Fiberform do 50+ mph.

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice

I located a Bravo 1 complete w/gimble that Baja sold as a surplus scratch and dent to a local parts wharehouse for dirt cheep. <br /> It has a scratch down the side that gouged into the lower unit just a tad and has never been installed and is still strapped to a pallet. <br /> You fellas wouldnt believe what Baja disguards w/minor cosmetic flaws or just plain out NOS.<br /> I have purchaced 1000s of dollars worth of parts for pennies on the dollar.<br /> I secured the Bravo for $500.00 !!!!

Don S

300+ HP won't hurt the Bravo I. Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together :D :D :D

tommays

Admiral

dang thats really cheep :p <br /><br />tommays

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice

So far it looks like Ill have roughly 1750.00 into the repower and about 32hrs labor.<br /> At least I have a very low hour good running 120 w/a good pre Alpha to sell, so I can requoupe some of the dent it will put the wallet.<br /> I found out today that the 120 engine was rebuilt two months before I bought the boat by a large Marina at the lakes back in May this year.<br /> It was a boat that the Marina did the rebuild on and the owner could not pay the large bill.<br /> The woman paid off the bill for the boat and claims that she took a major loss selling it to me.<br /> The woman that bought it broke the outdrive on the third vouage and had the same Marina rebuild it, but did the install labor herself. She did not check the alighnment.<br /> The drive train complete w/power trim is now for sale only needing a new coupler and possibly "U" joints, gimble bearing, and/or a shaft.<br /> The motor mount bushings look new as w/all of it from front pullies back including the alt and starter. <br /> Its still in the boat and fires on a dime.<br /> Ive added an ignitor to eliminate the need for points, a 19x14 MI steel prop, electric fuel pump, block off plate, and a stainless Skeggaurd.<br /> Estimated hrs on the fresh/tested drive train is 70 tops. Power trim functions well.<br /> Taking offers now in Ohio and can hear run.<br /> Im 100% sure the coupler is shot and no other issues !!

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bravo I for 500, how can I get one of those.

lowshovel1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hell, for that price get two and have a spare!!don't run across them deals often.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

650 Demon carb
I am somewhat familiar with the Demon carbs as one of my cars is a 56 Chevy with a nice small block in it. I've ordered many performance parts from Summit, (prefer them over Jeggs ;) ). Having said all of that... does Demon make a marine carb? I didn't think they did. You can pick up a nice Edlebrock marine carb fairly cheaply. You really do want to make sure it is a marine carb for safety reasons.<br /><br />Also, what makes power for a car doesn't always equate to a boat. Make sure you do your research on cam selection for marine engines. There is a good book I have from HP Books called "Small Block Chevy Marine Performance" by Dennis Moore that you should find very helpful.

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice

Ill keep an eye out at the place for other Bravos to roll in and post them hear. <br /> The wholeseller buys the surpluss every other month and it generaly fills a 40' x 60' area.<br /> He sells some on ebay as well, but hates the hassles of shipping.<br /> Right now he has a pallet of Mirage stainless props w/hubs for 125$ to 175$, several boxes of stainless SS tips, gauges, clusters, speakers (Jensen and Clarion), about 20 rolls of vinyl in many colors (pleated,padded,and straight and 50 per roll!!!), Sea Ray bimini tops, port hatchs, port windows, ect.... .<br /> Most of the stuff is discontinued, has minor flaws and or scratches, or just dirty, but are quite usable.<br /> I bought two bucket seats w/spiders and sliders, four matching rear seats, and a matching back to back for 200 out the door, and all Sea Ray Sport!!! I cannot find any flaws on them after cleaning the dust off of them.<br /> I went ahead and bought three Garelick seat posts on ebay and just move one of the buckets to whichever boat I am using that day. I saved 1500$ easy on them and they are awsome looking and super high quality.<br /> Just not usable on a new 50g boat.

lowshovel1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Go to Barry Grants websight and check out sea deamon marine carbs.pretty good sellection

Sagabu

Seaman Apprentice

Ill check into the book. The Demon my friend has was used on his V-drive before he blew the small block and repowered to big block.<br /> I dunno yet as to weather any mods have been made to it yet , but do know that Barry Grant Carbs does make Marine application carbs and kits.<br /> Thanx for the tip.