120 Mercruiser no reverse

uponahill

Cadet
In need of some advise/help I'm No boat mechanic .. we have a 1982 120 Mercruiser I changed the lower unit (new) in forward gear it ratchets CW, it locks CCW but I can turn it with force .. in neutral it spins both ways clicks CW clunks CCW .. in reverse it spins both ways clicks CW and clicks CCW very slightly low noise clicks .. I'm lost as to what to do next .. this problem didn't start until I changed the lower unit .. shift shoe is facing forward those parts are snug no slop

uponahill

Cadet
this may help, when I go from full 'forward' to neutral it clicks one way clunks the other.. when I go from full 'reverse' to neutral it spins silent forward and reverse

alldodge

Staff member
My guess is you didn't have the shift foot held straight forward, while the prop was locked in CCW direction, so the shift foot is a bit off. Need to remove drive, place throttle in full forward, drop lower unit and rotate the shift shaft so the prop locks in CCW direction. Then reinstall the lower drive section

uponahill

Cadet
when I dropped the lower unit throttle was in full forward gear that's what I cant figure out, what, if anything I did wrong

alldodge

Staff member
The shift shaft on the lower section needs to be rotated so the prop locks in the CCW direction. Once there, the lower is installed in the upper with the shift foot in the upper section held in the forward direction.

My guess, is there was a mismatch in the two pieces being put together

uponahill

Cadet
OK! Thanks! (I really don't want to pull that thing apart again I'm getting to old for this crap lol) I'll do that tomorrow and update Thanks! and my G-Dad 3 war veteran, passed years ago from a nose bleed God Bless him "Navy" told me once "The first liar is always the first to fall"

kenny nunez

Captain
It is possible to re-Aline the shift shaft to the upper shaft splines without dropping the lower completely. Remove the 3 front nuts and the 2 rear then loosen the Allen head bolt enough to let the unit down then raise the upper brass shift shaft while re-setting the lower. Let the brass shaft drop back to engage the lower and start re assembly.

uponahill

Cadet
Good, I just did that Kenny, throttle in forward gear, I have prop locked CCW and bungeed snug the shift shoe is still facing forward as it should be.. shoe dropped down with lower and was clear of the cable turning thingy, I took a 1/2" wrench and easily tried to see if the shoe needed to click another notch before I took it off, it wouldn't so as I can tell the shoe was and is in the right notch .. I swear its as if a gremlin adjusted the cable .. I did this last night, go from forward to reverse when in reverse the prop clicks both ways if I pull the throttle back toward reverse maybe 1/3rd of the way before it snaps into reverse the prop spins free both ways no noise if I go from full reverse back to neutral prop spins no noise but still no reverse

uponahill

Cadet
I'm a pretty good mechanic cars/trucks/lawn mower lol .. this thing is driving me nuts I bolted it back up tight again was pretty frustrated BUT I believe its the cable out of adjustment just a little .. I put it in full reverse pushed the shift shoe with my finger maybe 1/8" more and it went into reverse!! whew!! I'm going to attempt cable adjustment that after I finish work Thanks you 2 for your help! I'll update if that is the problem