120 Mercruiser - Front motor mount replacement suggestions...

canufixit

Cadet
HI all,<br /><br />I have part in hand and need to change my front motor mount ... Any suggestions /cautions for supporting the engine and pressing out/in the mount would be most helpful .... I'll post a summary of what I finally did ...<br /><br />Regards and thanks,<br />SteveC

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 120 Mercruiser - Front motor mount replacement suggestions...

Pull the drive before you start moving the engine, that way you don't take a chance of damaging the coupler.<br />After you get the new mount on, be sure to re-align the engine with an alignment bar.

canufixit

Cadet
Re: 120 Mercruiser - Front motor mount replacement suggestions...

HI Don,<br /><br />Thanks for the Reply ... Drive is already off. <br /><br />As for "supporting" the engine in front whaile I change the mount.... I sort of have two options here, both using the lifting ring bracket on the Thermostat nut;<br /><br />1.) Use a chain fall - this is scary to me as the boat will rock on the trailer and I can't leave it at my friends chain fall overnight. If I have problems getting the press in mount out /changed in the front arm ... I'm screwed ...<br /><br />2.) Put 2 4 x 4's across the gunnels and add under these (to the floor) additional support blocks ... Make a hook out of a 3/8" rod and use the threads to jack up/down the engine to support - Then I can take my time ...<br /><br />What to you think ??<br /><br />Any one have any ideas on pushing out the press fit motior mount out of the front mount bar - beside an arbor press ??? Will a threaded rosd with cored through blocks work ???<br /><br /><br />Thanks,<br />SteveC