120 L-Drive Engine Idle and Stiff steering.

jokey1

Cadet
Hey guys I got a quick question. When i use the boat i runs ok wide open. It tops about at 40mhp and the rpms are at 5500. The thing is when you are in the no wake zone and say running about 1300rpm it seems to miss? Not like a full dead miss but like a late fire. If snap the throttle to clear it up it seems to run better for a little bit. Is this a tendency for this engine to run? Plugs are black like any 2stroke engine. <br /><br />Also I have one more question. The steering is very stiff when acclerating. I think it is a bearing on the l-drive. But if anyone has some experince with these machines could you give me suggestions on any thing else I should check.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 120 L-Drive Engine Idle and Stiff steering.

When you are at Idle and you punch the throttle what happens? If the engine dies it is too lean if it stumbles it is too rich. This could be a cause for poor idle. I would run this motor slightly rich and live with the poor idle. I have read too many posts where people have damaged their engines by running too lean. You may try decarbing motor. That could help your condition as well. Look under frequently asked questions forum here in iboats.