120 Force - the good, bad and ugly?

cmhouser

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all - I'm contemplating buying a 1989 Larson Senza with a 120 Force on it. I'm not all that familiar with marine engines so please forgive my ignorance. I'm going to look at the boat tonight and just wonder if there is anything I should look for? The guy I *might* be buying from said it worked flawlessly last year and was properly winterized. He said he would give it a first start with me onsite (doubt there is a way to verify that).

Anyways - are these pretty good engines or am I in for trouble - loaded ? I know. Thanks in advance!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 120 Force - the good, bad and ugly?

before I answer, you go look at the boat. Do not commit. Come back here and givwe us your overall impression and the owners asking price. The we on the forum can tell you if it is fair or not.

If the owner puts pressure on you to buy, walk away--he may be trying to unload a dog. If it sells before you can go back, look at it as having saved money. Boats are like hookers--there's one on every corner. And, You have the power with the low demand and high number of boats for sale. remember: You have the money and no boat NEEDS to be bought.

foodfisher

Captain

Wow, with trailer and running motor, I'm envious.

cmhouser

Seaman Apprentice

I'm hoping the envy continues!!! I'd like nothing more to not have any worries on it this year but I'm preperaring just in case.

So I went and looked at the boat last night. I live in Minneapolis, MN so it's too cold to be testing it out on the water but it fired right up without any issues. The motor itself was very clean and looked in good shape. The guy I'm looking to buy it from seemed pretty knowledgeable about outboards in general and was giving some tips and pointers for maintenance and little things to watch out for. All in all I was very pleased with the condition of the engine and boat. The boat itself needed a good buff/wax and other little stuff needed repair (glove box lock etc). But the hull was nice and clean, the upholstery was in pretty good shape with a small tear here and there.

It looked nice. However I'm a little concerned that if something goes wrong I'll have issues finding parts. That being said for $1,400.00 if the engine is in good condition it might be worth that alone.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Post was deleted by author so I could not see the boat: BUT did you buy the boat? 1400 seems like a fair price for a package. And no, you will not have trouble finding parts.