12 Volt & 24 Volt Charging

R&R888

Recruit
I have a 1973 Mark III boat with a Merc Cruiser 888. It is all a 12 volt system. I recently found a killer deal on a 75 pound thrust electric trolling motor, and it is 24 volt. Is there any way to have the 12 volt system charge the batteries for the electric trolling motor?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 12 Volt & 24 Volt Charging

I would think the best way is to get two batteries and connect them in a 24 volt pattern. Then connect your trolling motor directly to them with an in-line fuse system. Leave your starting battery separate. It will charge from your alternator on the boat. Then also get a two bank charger to charge your trolling batteries. This way you don't have to convert every thing on the boat.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: 12 Volt & 24 Volt Charging

I would think the best way is to get two batteries and connect them in a 24 volt pattern. Then connect your trolling motor directly to them with an in-line fuse system. Leave your starting battery separate. It will charge from your alternator on the boat. Then also get a two bank charger to charge your trolling batteries. This way you don't have to convert every thing on the boat.

I could be wrong but i dont think that will charge the trolling motor batteries from the motor :confused:
The two bank on board charger is the way to go though :cool: