12' Porta Bote Speed?

lifelikelife

Recruit
Hey Boters, I recently purchased a used 2000 12' Porta Bote ($650), and a used 2011 6hp Mercury 4 stroke ($1100). Got to take it out on Trinity Lake last weekend and was a bit dissapointed with the speed. Couldn't use my phone to get mph, but best guess based on distance traveled was about 4 mph with myself, my girl, a cooler and some fishing gear. I expected to do around double that at full throttle. I did adjust the trim of the outboard to different positions, after realizing that the engine was rubbing against the boat and chewing up the plastic a bit. The bote was significantly faster with just me in it, almost enough to blow my hat off my head, again, not sure of the actual speed though. I tried positioning my girl and cooler at the front of the bote, but I don't think that affected the speed.

Any thoughts or advice? I've been reading the forums, and I see some people are putting up to 9.9 hp outboards on it by modifying the transom for extra strength and claim to go around 15+ mph.

Either way, it was still pretty fun, even in choppy water from all the water skiers, but it definately hurts my pride to get passed up so casually by EVERY other boat.

Attachments

• photo333231.jpg
    photo333231.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 2

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

This is my favorite video regarding the porta-boats.

Hope this has not happened to you :D

cuzn222

Recruit
I have a 12' porta bote and 5hp LEHR outboard.
I can reach 7-8mph with 2 adults and fishing gear on it when the wind is less than 7mph.
My outboard has 5 position and I tried all of them and find the 3rd one has the highest speed.

I am considering change to a bigger boat because the porta bote is difficult to drive when wind is larger than 10mph here in Texas.

Attachments

• photo334775.jpg
    photo334775.jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 2