11ft Rib vs 12ft Sib

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a 2013, 9.8 Tohatsu to use on my 12ft, sib, (rated max 9.9hp) soft bottom, inflatable keel, aluminum floor, but have a chance for a good deal on an 11ft, rib,(rated max 15hp) fiberglass bottom, wood floor. what difference, if any will I see between the two boats using the 9.8? ie: will the rib, because of its design be faster, more/less stable, etc. I don't have the chance to test the rib with the engine. Thanks

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 11ft Rib vs 12ft Sib

A rib with a wood floor?

Thats what the owner said, but she is in her 70's, and only selling as her husband passed, and has no use for it, she said the floor is grey, non slip, (gritty surface) maybe she just thinks its wood, I can't confirm until I go look at it, but its 3 hours away, and she's not available to show it until next week. But the main question was will an 11ft rib be faster, and more or less stable than a 12 ft soft bottom.

Drowned Rat

Captain

RIB will be heavier but perform better with like horsepower. SIBs have a lot of drag in the water. They're both very stable boats but the RIB will ride much nicer and handle chop way better. Depending on your intended use, it will probably come down to which is in the better condition. Flat lakes, calm water, near shore = small SIBs. Off shore capable, heavier weather or wakes = small RIBs. Keep in mind those are both tender category boats, not really intended for much else although they are capable in the right hands. You go up in size 2 to 3' and SIB/RIB seaworthiness increases dramatically. i.e. substantial off shore capability and reliable sub small-craft-warning weather.

Anyway, I'd check it out closely. That deal sounds a little suspicious, as mentioned.

ali'i

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Anyway, I'd check it out closely. That deal sounds a little suspicious, as mentioned.

Thanks, just not sure why you say it sounds a little suspicous, I do know the lady, she is a friend of my moms, she actually asked my mom to ask me if I knew anyone who would want to buy the boat, so told her I might want it, anyways, Thanks again, Think I'll go for the deal.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Ask the laddy for someone to help her out to send deck & hull pictures so to have a look. A 11" rib is much better with a 9.8 HP than a 12" sib, should plane faster with better ride.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Thats what the owner said, but she is in her 70's, and only selling as her husband passed, and has no use for it, she said the floor is grey, non slip, (gritty surface) maybe she just thinks its wood, I can't confirm until I go look at it, but its 3 hours away, and she's not available to show it until next week. But the main question was will an 11ft rib be faster, and more or less stable than a 12 ft soft bottom.

Not necessarily. Depending on the hull design and weight of the hard bottom and the weight and hull design of the soft, either one might outdo the other. Brand, model and load are critical for an accurate answer. However, in general, call it more likely that a rib would be faster, while a soft would me more stable.