115 take off bog.

monolithic

Cadet
1982 Merc 115 6 CYL driving 1982 Thudercraft Wild II Motor starts and runs great with one exception, when in gear at idle, it doesnt want to run when given thottle, it bogs, and wants to die, Then I need fiddle with it ( choke a bit, play with throttle) to get it up past the flat point it is good, really good. Will run great at full speed (53) great at low speed(17 ish) and anywere in between. Any Ideas..

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 take off bog.

Unlikely, Check the primary pickup timing, 5 to 7 degrees ATDC. Max timing advance, 18 degrees @ WOT, 20 degrees @ cranking speed. Make sure the floats are set correctly, and idle mixture screws are not set lean. Sometimes drilling the prop will unload the engine and help accelleration

artdog

Recruit

I have a 115hp mercury ( thunderbolt ignition ) not sure of year at this point. I too have a problems that sounds like this one. it will start easy and idle well, but once i put it in gear it will try to die and i have to fiddle with the throttle. I have to move it up and down quickly. Now once it picks up it does good and revs decent and runs good on top end. Any guidance?

walterV

Cadet

sincronize the carbs to open about 400 rpms after the timing starts advancing.

steve01

Cadet

I had the same problem with my 150hp inline 6. I sent the timing as per the directions in the repair manual. That took care of it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Normally when a motor bogs upon trying to accelerate, the carbs are set too lean. If the idle is good, open the top carb idle mixture screw 1/8 turn, and try to accelerate. If it is not better, open the middle carb mixture screw 1/8 turn and try again. If still not smoothly acceleration, repeat with the bottom carb. If it still doesn't accelerate smoothly, repeat sequence. It trick is to set the idle mixture as rich as possible, and still have an acceptable idle.