115 SPL Lifespan

Bushleaguer

Seaman
My 1997 115 SPL just turned 1300 hours. It still runs fine and the last compression check was perfect. About how many hours could I expect to get before it's time to repower or rebuild?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 115 SPL Lifespan

The "average" life span of outboards is thought to be about 1500 hours, Matt, but:

That is seriously affected by the short life of abused and neglected engines, outboard engines almost never "wear out", and some outboard owners have hypochondria about their engines and rebuild or replace them when they have only minor troubles.

I believe a well cared for JohnnyRude will last 4,000-5,000 hours and only gets replaced or rebuilt as insurance, not because it wears out. Many other makes get "retired" when parts and/or service are no longer available or economical.

Bushleaguer

Seaman

Thanks JB. Mine has been cared for pretty much by the book, probably better than the book. Since it's 11 years old, I may be approaching that "hypocondriac" stage. I guess I'll just keep running her and hope to get back to you in 11 more years for advice on a repower!

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

I am running a 30 year old 115 jonny on a bayliner cc.

Gets me there and back, starts always and purrs like a johnson.

Maintain it and you will get many more years of service out of it.

Forgot to mention the 35 year old 85 hp rude on the skeeter, same way.

As long as parts are available, I will keep running the old ones.