115 merc

machicj

Seaman Apprentice
lookin' to buy a 115 merc. don't know which one to buy. 2 stroke or four stroke?????? thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 merc

4 strokes are fine motors but just too many moving parts go with a 2 stroke and look into the Evinrude etec.Saw my first the other day a 40hp. As I approached from the rear 2 people sitting chatting on the dock
and in boat.Didn't know motor was running until I got right on top of them.And this a barebones tiller steer on an aluminum work boat.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

2 strokes have giving great service for so many years. i see no reason to go to a more complicated engine, that weighs more.

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

437 hours on an '04 115efi 4-stroke. Instant turn-key starts, very quiet, and super fuel economy. I could not be happier. Don't believe me though, do an internet search or check the various boating boards for problems on these engines - good luck, you won't find much. I will concede the one negative factor on this engine is the 386lb dry weight.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2006 Mercury 115HP EFI 4-Stroke on my 2006 Lowe Fish & Ski.

The engine is great, it is SUPER quiet, you can't even tell it is running at idle. I don't know what to say about fuel economy because I don't have any way to compare it really.

The only negative thus far I have to say about this engine is that it is a little slow out of the hole.

If you want rope snapping hole shot, get the OptiMax, But if you don't care if you get out of the hole a few seconds quicker, Go with the 4-stroke.

The new 2007 115HP EFI 4-Stroke's have a higher Redline, and some new technologies, So maybe it will be a bit better out of the hole, maybe even faster top speed!?

As for the Etec vs Optimax, If you go to Evinrude's website, they say Etec is better, if you go to Mercury's website, they say Optimax is better. They both supposidly have 'proof' theirs is better..

In all reality, go with which ever has more dealers/repair centers near you.. Personally, I see more Mercury Dealers / Repair Centers than Evinrude, so Mercury Seams like the smarter choice, but it may be different in your local area..

-TheChad

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Out of curiousity, what prop are you running on your '06 TheChad?

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bigjohn1 said:
Out of curiousity, what prop are you running on your '06 TheChad?

Right now its a 13x17 BlackMax, I am waiting for my Mercury Vengeance Stainless Steel prop to come in.

I am playing with the idea of trying out a 13x16 prop, because I am only getting about 5500RPM right now with the 13x17, and redline on this engine is 6000RPM.

But with the 13x17 It jumps on plane in about 5 seconds with 4 people and gear behind the windshield of the boat, and reaches about 42MPH.

-TheChad

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The 2-stroke 115 runs on 2 at idle and kicks in the other 2 above 1/4 throttle or so. It's a nightmare motor for wakeboarders and beginner waterskiers because that's about where it has a hard time deciding on how many cylinders to run on. It's nearly impossible to keep a constant speed between about 1800-2400rpms. At slower and faster speeds, they're fine.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hey Chad, If you value your 42 leave your prop alone. A 5 second hole shot isn't all that bad. I have been prop testing lately and I see a lot of boats that take a lot longer than that to get outta-da-hole. My current prop gets me out at about 5 sec and I have a very light boat. I could drop the pitch back down (have 2 lower pitched props) but I like the top end and as I said, 5 second hole isn't all that bad.

Besides you are running a 4 stroke. I don't think the "at or near max rpms at WOT" rule applies as it does for 2 strokes so I personally wouldn't worry about it......you're not burning oil with your gas.

Mark