115 Johnson bearing?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
My brother calls me, he has a freind and someone gave this freind a boat but the motor makes a "funny noise".

I go to look at it, it starts and runs pretty good but the fly wheel is moving up and down maybe an 1/8", when it goes down it makes a sqeueling noise.
He shuts it off and there is small aluminum peices all over the engine case, is this just a bearing or does he need to redo the whole motor?

When it is off you can wiggle the fly wheel, more up and down than side to side but it moves both ways.

It is a Johnson V-4 115 Model 115EL76D, if someone knows the year on that that would help too.
Thanks in advance.
PS he is doing the work not me

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 115 Johnson bearing?

pull the flywheel, if shaft is moving probably a rebuild. you need a harmonic balancer puller.

Attachments

• removing fly wheel  paul moir.jpg
    removing fly wheel paul moir.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class

......It is a Johnson V-4 115 Model 115EL76D, if someone knows the year on that that would help too.
Thanks in advance.
PS he is doing the work not me

It's a 76 (last two digits of the model number)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Crank Bearings are obviously shot. The lower one is a ball bearing and the crank is circlipped to it which prevents up and down movement unless the bearing is shot. The grindings confirm it.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Thank you gentleman, i will let him know.
It looked more like someone pawned off there trash on him, the transom was shot, you could move it a 1/2" just putting your hand on the motor and I crawled inside and put my finger through the inside of the transom.
Glad it is someone elses project.