115 Johnson - 1970 - no spark

rupertmja

Seaman
I acquired a partly dismantled 115 Johnson and have been sorting it all out. Model number is: 115ESL70D - I presume that means 1970.

It is now mostly together but does not spark. The manual I have covers various models but not in the greatest of detail. Mine has Powerpulse Breakerless Ignition and as far as I can tell, the coils must be under the flywheel as that is where the plug leads originate from. There is however, one small igntion type coil bolted to the block. In my manual there is no 'direct' reference to this type of make up. Does that one external coil feed the other internal four in a kind of distributor arrangement? My next job is to get the flywheel off to have a look - just need an extra pair of hands to undo the big bolt on the top etc...

Another questions - the head gaskets have two holes in for water to pass through. Should I put them with the holes at the top or at the bottom? And should the holes be towards the inside of the motor or outside? My guess is inside and up, but it is just a guess as the manual does not say.

Any help appreciated. Rupert, NZ

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Johnson - 1970 - no spark

I am going to assume that you have a Clymers or Seloc manual, I would use it to soak up oil while you work on the motor, and get a factory OEM service manual to replace it. Trust me, it will be the best money you ever spent.