115 idle setting...

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1978 115 inline 6.<br />book isnt really specific on how to do this (go figure). I set mine per book after cleaning the carbs, and its close, but will cough and die in fwd idle. I checked FAQ and it looks like I warm it up, put it in idle forward, then adjust top screw counterclockwise 1/8 turn, then try the acceleration. if it dosnt accelerate, then adjust middle screw out 1/8 turn, then try accel again. if still not accelerating, then bottom. if its still not idleing with acceleration, then start at the top again. is this right? shouldnt I try to set all 3 at the same setting (all 3 back out 1/8, etc)?<br /><br />thanks...you guys have been a great help.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 115 idle setting...

This should get you close. Hook up a tach and then on each carb, turn the idle jet in until you start to loose rpms, note the position. Then turn the jet out until you start to loose rpms. Then set the jet halfway between the in and out postions. Good luck.

phatmanmike

Captain

on my 176 115 inline 6, i rebuilt and cleaned the carbs and then i set the screws to 1 1/4 turns out from all the way shut. remember , the further the are turned in, the leaner the fuel mix, better to be safe and rich<br /><br />m ikey<br /><br />ps, have you done a decarb yet?

sundog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mike~ no, but I only rebuilt the carbs 2 months ago. I think the book sets at 1 1/4 out. the first time I took it out it worked fine, but after that it just baerly hangs on in idle fwd, then diee. any other settign its fine, so I thought Id try to up the idle a bit first.