115 evinrude V4 loop won't start

bvcolley

Cadet
Gentlemen, after dry dock for the winter, I have started my usual prep for the water but can't get the boat started. It seems that I have a fuel issue, if I give it a little burst of starting fluid, it will fire but imediatedly stop. The oil bulb is tight, the gas bulb will pump up but will go soft. I also noticed the red handle on the fuel primer has a split and is driping some oil (the new parts are order for this). Any guideance and further troubleshooting help will be appreciated. Thanks Ben

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 evinrude V4 loop won't start

If the motor wasn't winterized properly and the fuel stabilized you'll probably need to give the carbs a bath. If the bulb continues to pump gas thru, the needles are probably stuck open and not seating. It's not all that uncommon in the spring after a long winter's sleep. Some people try to "run them 'til they clean out". That usually works because as a standard part of a rebuild you clean the carbs anyway.

Definately get the primer cap replaced. Make sure the valve is turned off. That could be where the gas is going too.

bvcolley

Cadet

Thanks, I don't think the gas is leaking through the carbs, I pumped the bulb until it was tight and held it while the wife cranked the engine, but still no start! ??????????

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You can confirm that you have gummed carbs by going to the Engine FAQs, "Outboard won't start".

BTW, never use ether starting fluid in a 2 stroke engine. Use premixed fuel.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I've had a number of VRO's that when left the fuel line connected over the winter had evaporated fuel and left all float bowls FULL of oil.

Remove the float bowl drain plugs individually and flush each bowl with the primer bulb.

Once all carbs are flushed of excess oil, pump up the fuel, add water and stir.

bvcolley

Cadet

Charlie, that sounds exactly whats going on, everything I pull apart or take off seems to be loaded with oil. I'll be draining carb bowl right away (this weekend anyway) Thanks, Ben