115 Evinrude died at WOT

Bushleaguer

Seaman
Was running WOT about 2 miles out when RPM fell off suddenly and engine died. Checked fuel line connection and primer bulb, both OK. Turned key to restart, hard cranking for one revolution, then fired right up. Headed back to shore, ran OK. Ran along shore line for 2-3 miles at WOT, no problems. Then trolled for 3 hours with no problems. Ran back to marina about 3 miles, no problems. What components would cause an intermittent failure like this? Fuel pump, power packs, coils?? I believe that any tests performed would be normal as now it runs fine, but I would like to prevent another breakdown, possibly under worse conditions. Any advise would be appreciated.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Evinrude died at WOT

What do you mean by "hard cranking for one revolution"?

Bushleaguer

Seaman

When I turned the key to restart the engine, it did not turn over quickly like it usually does. It cranked like it had a low battery, but only for a short time. Then, it turned over quickly and caught right away. It was almost like the timing was off some how, for a very short time. I know that it did not overheat because I was able to touch the heads without burning my hand, and the temp alarm did not sound. Also, I have good flow out of the water pump indicator.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Hummmm.....lets start by taking compression. Just for kicks. I would say that youre correct, any ignition check performed now would probably show OK since it runs OK now.

D

DJ

Remove the negative battery cable from the engine. Clean the connector thoroughly and also clean the bolt and internal block threads-thoroughly.

Bushleaguer

Seaman

OK- Compression on all four is between 118 and 122. Model is E115TSLEU, sn# G04190930. On one of the four ignition coils, the material that looks like silicone that coats the part toward the back of the engine is crumbling away. I wonder if there is a voltage leak there that is causing havoc. Also, ground connection was pretty clean. I cleaned anyway, but saw no problems.

jimpittman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bushleaguer,<br />I have an older model 115 evinrude that was completely rebuilt over one year ago. About a month ago I had the exact thing happen to me while running near wide open on a shallow lake with a soft bottom with plenty of crab traps. I assumed I had either hit a mud flat or had a rope wrapped around the prop momentarily. Any how I have had no problems since. It sounded to me like I had locked up the lower unit. Motor started up with no problems and ran fine. Had lower unit checked. OK<br />jimpittman

Bushleaguer

Seaman

Hey Jim- Mine is a 1996 and has been relatively trouble free. My problem is that I run on Lake Erie, which is known to get hairy in a hurry at times. I feel awful nervous out there after having this happen. I just have a hard time believing that a motor would just up and quit for no apparent reason. I work with construction equipment every day and find that usually, there is a problem beginning to develop when something like this happens. We'll see I guess. Dhadley seems to be the OMC swami around iboats, so maybe he can give some insight. Thanks. BTW- how long since this happened to you?

Bushleaguer

Seaman

FYI update- I have now put 20 hours on engine, all different throttle positions, 15 of the 20 hours trolling. No problems at all. I did replace the ignition coil that had the silicone like stuff crumbling off. I don't think that was it. I suspect some bad gas, but don't know how it could have gotten past the racor water seperator / filter. Just thought you'd be interested. Thanks for the replies.