115 crossflow vs 120 looper

robert.barnes

Seaman
i have two motor to choose from i own both motors they r both 1985. one is a 115 crossflow and the other is a 120 looper. the motors are so difrent i did not know witch would be better. i own a 17 foot nitro bass boat with a 90 horse evinrude now and it runs about 50 mph, but uses a lot of gas. i did not know if one of the other motors was beter on gas than the other and witch motor would be more reliable. thank you for all the help. the reason im changing the motor is more speed and power by the way

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 115 crossflow vs 120 looper

I would opt for the 120 looper. At wot you may use more fuel, but at cruise you may actually use less. You may pick up some mph depending on setup. Chief Chief

Walker

Captain

They will all use a lot of gas especially run at WOT. The 120 has more cubic inches so it will use more gas to get its performance. The 120 looper has a lot more torque than the 90 or 115 crossflow. As far as reliability they are a wash. Both are very dependable designs. I run a 120 of my 18' flatbottom bay boat and I can run with the 150's all day long.

robert.barnes

Seaman

thanks alot i also forgot to tell u all that the 120 has the v 6 gear case i am not sure but i think it has a higher gear ratio than my 90 i am running a 20 pitch raker on the 90 so does this mean i will need a higher pitch or a lower pitch on the 120

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

I think 1985 was the 1st year for the V4 loopers and there were plenty of troubles with them. Stalling and poor throttle response were the main complaints. There was a service bullitin outlining the modifications. It was quite long and involved thing like drilling jets, air bleeds and props. Other mods were changes to the throttle linkages and pick up timing. Engines that had the worst trouble were ones that sat low in the water and created a lot of back pressure at low speed. Later motors had the exhaust idle relief located higher up and had less trouble.That said; the looper being larger will have more torque than the crossflow

Walker

Captain

They made the V4 loopers long after 1985. Mine is a 94
They added air mixture screws to the carbs somewhere along the way.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

jimmbo said:
I think 1985 was the 1st year for the V4 loopers and there were plenty of troubles with them. Stalling and poor throttle response were the main complaints. There was a service bullitin outlining the modifications. It was quite long and involved thing like drilling jets, air bleeds and props. Other mods were changes to the throttle linkages and pick up timing. Engines that had the worst trouble were ones that sat low in the water and created a lot of back pressure at low speed. Later motors had the exhaust idle relief located higher up and had less trouble.That said; the looper being larger will have more torque than the crossflow

You are quite correct in 1985 being the first year for the V4 loop charged motors. They were not troublesome at all. There were a few service bulletins, and most were resolved early on. I had a 140, which was finally sold last year after more than twenty years of trouble free service. Never had one serious problem with the motor. It was incredibly reliable and strong. The v6 gearcase means v4 props generally won't fit.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have had cross flow, direct charged (Merc), and loopers. Hands down I will take the direct charged/looper over cross flow.

Mark