115 Crossflow Stripped Important Bolt

Fisher29

Seaman Apprentice
Had the manual beside me, was following its values. Can’t remember off the top of my head.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Most fasteners going into Aluminium use Inch Pounds for Torque Values.
As Teen I wiped out a few Spark Plug Hole Threads. To this Day, I am leery of any Aluminium Threads.
Some Marine Manufacturers starting putting Heli-Coil Inserts in at the Factory, at Locations that would likely need to be undone for Service

Fisher29

Seaman Apprentice
That missing bolt does not cause compression issues in the crankcase.---And it cannot cause fuel to leak elsewhere in my opinion.----Find the real issue.
It may be causing an air leak in these 2 little holes right beside the stripped bolt. I’m no OMC tech but just a thought? IMG_0480.jpeg

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Check the Gasket for those holes, they are likely part of the Oil Recirculation System

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
a couple of things to add to this thread pertaining to thread stripping.

its fine to use impact to remove screws, bolts and nuts from marine engines " however" if you have to impact under load after initial loosening , hit it with the torch , the reason for this is there is a good chance that fastener is stripping the thread coming out , a propane torch handy when taking apart a motor will save lots of time and head aches for you and the next person that has to deal with that pesky fastener that is corroded or lock righted in.
"mark those threads ", run a chaser and inspect before re assembling. if need be that is the time to helicoil ,time sert or to make way for the next size up fastener IE: drill and tap , don't leave this step until you are assembling.

its not always necessary to use a torque wrench on every fastener , that's for amateur's that cant feel tension and people that don't know their tools,
that said , i use my 1/4 drive impact to ""fit ""most fasteners to finger tight , then go over them and tighten to where i feel the torque should be.

don't over tighten components that have gaskets .
use sealant only if specified in the manual . however , a light smear to stick or hold a gasket in place IMO is fine.

last but not least , clean the fasteners and threads before assembly , only use lubricant or thread sealant if is called for in the manual .

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
its not always necessary to use a torque wrench on every fastener , that's for amateur's that cant feel tension and people that don't know their tools,
that said , i use my 1/4 drive impact to ""fit ""most fasteners to finger tight , then go over them and tighten to where i feel the torque should be.
A Torque Wrench is what a Professional will use, in all cases. Don't try to claim your Arms/Hands are calibrated Torque Sensors.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
A Torque Wrench is what a Professional will use, in all cases. Don't try to claim your Arms/Hands are calibrated Torque Sensors.
???? , i know when it is absolutely a must to use a torque wrench "" i have 3 of them 1/4 , 3/8 , and a very well calibrated 1/2 drive with a digital angle finder.
there is no reason to use any of them all the time , as i am sure the majority of people that work in shops would agree ,
IMO that slows the process and LMAO it would take too many extensions and wobbles to correctly torque some of the stuff i have to contend with daily.

each too their own ,I'm not here to argue.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Went to a clinic on torquing of fasteners years ago.------Presenter had experienced folks torquing stuff.-----Most folks were way off when asked to torque to 100 ft-lbs.----Oh , And I worked un stuff where torque multipliers were used.-----And fasteners were torqued up to 900 FT-LBS using hydraulic tools on the machine I worked on.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I agree that experience gives you a 6th sense of tightening non critical bolts....or unloosening as well. All the critical or larger torquing bolts I use a torque wrench.

If I worked for a OEM shop with newer outboards I would probably go by the book.

Code changed for residential local electricians, they are supposed to use a torque screwdriver when tightening electrical screws but when I talked to them no one was doing that.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
my last brake job in oct. ended up with a loose caliper front left, the very next day after paying the big $$$

took it back to the mecanic and asked him if he had torqued the bolts specs.
reply was.... "I don't have a torque wrench"
and he lost my business forever and he should have been fired imho.
I agree that experience gives you a 6th sense of tightening non critical bolts....or unloosening as well. All the critical or larger torquing bolts I use a torque wrench.

If I worked for a OEM shop with newer outboards I would probably go by the book.

Code changed for residential local electricians, they are supposed to use a torque screwdriver when tightening electrical screws but when I talked to them no one was doing that.
probably just another excuse to stop homewowners from changing wall plugs and switches ...which around here is not allowed