110 hp Johnson

joe

Recruit
I need to replace the thermostates on my Twin 110 hp johnsons (1989). Does anyone have a procedure for doing this because it looks like they are not easily accesable. I am having trouble with one not ideling and they both use a lot of oil.. Do you think that this will solve my proublem.<br /><br />Any help would be appreaciated.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Joe

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 110 hp Johnson

Hi Joe, If your motor has the exhaust cover with the bubble on it, which I think it does, You have to remove the powerhead to get access to the thermostat cover bolts. If your engine is running cold at idle, it can effect your idle. Usually it runs rough. As far as excess oil use, you motor has a VRO system. I would check your fuel lines for loose fittings or air leaks. A line sucking air in, will cause the VRO/fuel pump to pump faster and it will use more oil, this could also effect idling and cause stalling.

joe

Recruit
Re: 110 hp Johnson

Iceman<br />Thanks for your reply. I appreaciate your imput. <br />I have done some work on my twin 110 Johnsons (1989) like changing the water pumps and replacing the wireing harness and things like that but i have never pulled the powerhead. How big of a job is that? Is there a shop manual that gives a step by step procedure? I am willing to do the work if i can get some information on the procedure. Do I need any special tools? <br /><br />When it comes down to it i would rather pay someone to do the job befor i get myself in trouble. How mutch $ would someone charge to do the job?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Joe