110 Evinrude?

jofish

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989, 110hp.Evinrude.The Vro pump and alarm are disabled. The engine runs great at at higher RPM'S but loads up bad at trolling speeds, seems to be running smooth but can smell gas after about fifteen min. of trolling, as soon as I throw the coals to her for a minute or two it clears up.I read a post at another part of this sight that said if my VRO pump was in poor shape I might need to rebuild it or replace it with a standard pump. Could this be the cause of my problem?? I use OMC outboard motor oil @ a 50:1 ratio.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 110 Evinrude?

I think this is one of those questions that just depends who ya ask. I'd say "of course it loads up, idlin' around all day at trolling speeds, what do ya expect? That's what trollin' motas are for." Now, somebody else is gonna come along and say "I have an engine just like yours and troll all day and all night and it never loads up." My solution? Yep, get a trollin' mota. ;) <br /><br />G'luck Jofish & c/6<br />Hooty

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by jofish:<br />I have a 1989, 110hp.Evinrude.The Vro pump and alarm are disabled. I read a post at another part of this sight that said if my VRO pump was in poor shape I might need to rebuild it or replace it with a standard pump. Could this be the cause of my problem?? I use OMC outboard motor oil @ a 50:1 ratio.
Im confused :confused: Either you have the VRO, or you dont!

D

DJ

jofish,<br /><br />I owned an '89' 90 HP., same basic engine. I never unhooked the VRO system. I just maintained it. Something that most folks are unwilling to do. The system (VRO) has nothing to do with your situation.<br /><br />Yes, they will load up at idle. However, that is one of the best mannered "big" engines to troll with.<br /><br />Being that your engine is sixteen years old, it's time to take care of it.<br /><br />1. Rebuild the carbs.<br /><br />2. Use ONLY Champion spark plugs (QL77JC4). Gap them at .040" for best low speed performance.

jofish

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the comebacks, Hooty ,picked up a 8hp merc. a couple of weeks ago for just that reason also figure it will be much more economical than the 110 for extended trolling, the lake I camp on is huge and to find the fish you have to cover a lot of lake Lube dude , I should have said the oil injection is disabled ,cant bring myself to trust it , been mixing since I was old enough to push a throttle, figure why change. DJ, I was leaning towards the carbs just read those post's and it raised the question Had a 135 Evin before this one and it did the same thing just not as noticable rebuilding the carbs helped but never completley solved. Already have the plugs wish it had been that easy don't remember what I gapped them at but thats a easy check, once again Thanks to all.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If everything is set right I dont see why it should load up at idle. I have a 150 crossflow on a flats boat that will idle in gear at 500 rpm or so. I've idled (trolled) like that for over 2 hours with no problem. <br /><br />The 150 crossflow is just a 6 cylinder version of your motor except you have a better exhaust manifold.