1000SS Shift Shaft??

Cogburn

Seaman
I bought a 1968 1000ss yesterday. I bought it pretty cheap for a project motor as it ran ok,

BUT...

The shifter would shift into neutral when shifted towards reverse. Otherwise it was in forward gear.

I thought that maybe the selector shaft might be out of time-no big deal. After 2 hours of screwing around I came to the realization that the shift shaft coupler splines are worn out. The shift shaft only engages about less than 1/2" of the selector shaft coupler and they are about gone.

When I line everything up and then shift it it just skips a tooth or two and doesn't work.

Is this a fairly common problem?

I think it is a 47326A1 Shift shaft. Coupler 93960A1??

Does this thing screw on or???

Cogburn

Seaman
Re: 1000SS Shift Shaft??

Well...

I bought a couple couplers and backed the boat I bought with the 1000SS on it in the shop to remove the coupler.

The coupler was welded on the shifter shaft from the factory-not replaceable.

I pulled the powerhead to remove the shifter shaft, found an allen wrench that fit the coupler and proceeded to cut it,a sleeve,and the shaft down on my lathe to make a shaft that would accept the coupler.

I think that I have a decent shaft to use now but I have to pick up some gaskets for the powerhead and exhaust divider. Hopefully I have the hex clocked pretty close so it shifts properly.

Quite alot of work to replace the shifter shaft.

I did clean out the accumulated carbon in the exhaust.

I think I may replace the lower crank seal while I have the powerhead out. I s this a good idea since it has been in there since 1968?

Does anyone have a pic of what they use for an engine stand??