100 H.P. Evinrude Starflite year ? Info.

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I will be picking up an Evinrude Starflite 100 H.P. motor that comes with a boat I found (was not attached to boat)
the numbers I found on a metal sticker under the hood are Ser. No.# 41697 & Mod. No. # 6CB2004 can you tell me anything about this motor? Year? I don't know the history of motor so I will have to check the compression psi replace the impeller

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Re: 100 H.P. Evinrude Starflite year ? Info.

Sounds to me like it is a 66 year 100 HP----The model # gives the year.----In this case the model # posted does not appear to be correct.---Please look again or post some pictures of this motor including details of the distributor.--The V-4 electric shift ( non through hub exhaust ) was only marketed from 66 to 68.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The model # is on the stern brackets. Check again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 100hp V4 from the 1960's has a 4-barrel carburetor, battery CD (pulse pack) ignition, with belt driven distributor, and NON thru-hub exhaust. 100hp motors any newer than that would be very different.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

The 66 had the battery distributor / points / automotive style coil / condenser,-----The 67 was the first CD ignition model.-----The 68 had the CD ignition distributor under the flywheel.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 66 had the battery distributor / points / automotive style coil / condenser,-----The 67 was the first CD ignition model.-----The 68 had the CD ignition distributor under the flywheel.

I stand corrected, you are right. That would leave the '68 the least desirable in my book. Actually, that 4bbl carburetor makes them all undesirable, not because it was bad, but because it costs a fortune to fix. On the good side, they had the stern drive lower unit, made for V-8 engines and plenty tough for the outboard. Just my opinions.

racerone

Supreme Mariner

Agreed lower unit housing is robust.----Gears themselves are not the same.