10 hp only...what 'toon is best????

clayshooter555

Recruit
Need the advise of you seasoned 'Tooners!

We want to get our first boat and have a nice sized lake 1/4 mile away. However only motors of 10hp (gas) or less are allowed. Electric is also permitted.

We would like to get either a 16 or 18 foot pontoon. Is this even possible given the motor restrictions on this lake.

Any comments on elec motors over gas?

Normally there will be 4 adults and one child onboard...we want to primarily just cruise around and but be able to wet a line every once in a while.

Any and all recommendations appreciated!!

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 10 hp only...what 'toon is best????

You can run a 18 footer with a Mercury Big Foot 9.9hp or a Yamaha High Thrust 9.9hp. Either one of those set-ups will work just fine.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I am running a 20 footer with a 9.9. and it gets up around 12 mph with just 2 on it and around 8 mph with 6 people and I am using a standard mariner motor and to be perfectly honest the big foots arnt all that fast in fact their a good bit slower lol if you can call it that. And their a lot of 28 foot boats around and even a few 32 foot house boats.

When I decided to make the change to a 9.9 lake I thought it would drive me insane going that slow and it hasnt in fact I have found it to be very pleasant. Driving the boat is a lot more relaxing you dont have to be on constant guard watching out for other boats so you can relax. First off you have left the bass idiot and the jet ski jerks behind, the wakes from other boats are barly noticable, people and kids can move around with out being thrown off their feet and the people are just plain more friendly wouldn't go back to a unlimited lake now.

The Rooster

Ensign

"Jet Ski Jerks", OUCH James that hurts !!!:(

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Sorry but not ever one who rides a jet ski is a jerk I would guess its like one of of twenty but it only takes the one. And I used to own a kal 900 lol .