05 Yamaha 150 2 stroke water pump?

jjackson

Recruit
We have a 2005 Yamaha 150 2 stroke. Went to start it up this morning and it was not peeing out the engine and overheating. We checked to make sure that it was not blocked, its not. The only thing we can think of is the water pump. Does anyone know where and how to change that? HELP!! We have a shark tournament this weekend!!!:eek:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 05 Yamaha 150 2 stroke water pump?

yes I know how. I do several well maintained rigs every week.
do a forum search. I have posted twice step by step instructions for changing the water pump on 1995 and later V yamahas.
my guess is you started it, however breifly, out of the water. carefully inspect the pump housing. any sign of melt means the housing is simply scrap.
its not hard, takes 45 minutes or so. you will also need to replace the t-stats and pressure control grommet.
its all part of routine maintenence.

jjackson

Recruit

Thank you for your help, my husband finally figured it out. We didnt get to our shark tournament but theres always another weekend! Unfortunatly he sliced his knee open with the prop in the process, but not that bad. We are still working the kinks out in this boat. Its a 2005 Aquasport Explorer 215 that has been sitting for a little over a year. The motor has a problem with not wanting to start again after sitting for more than 10-15 minutes and were constantly getting water mixed in the fuel. We have already placed the fuel/water seporater and obviously that wasnt it. It helped alot but not fixing the problem completely. Eventually we will figure it out! If we had the money we would rather put a Honda 250 4 stroke on there! Thank you again for your help, this is a great site!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow, sorry about the knee. stainless props can get incredibly sharp with wear and sand.
the water issue you will have with whatever brand engine, and 4 strokes can be very expensive to clear the water from.
that fuel water seperator in the hull will only hold so much water, less with E-10 fuels.
then it pases it on.
you need to have the tank bottom pumped by removing the fuel sender and raising the bow and sucking the goo off the bottom.