03 xl700 repair or pull engine?

merc4now

Cadet
Hey guys I posted earlier about help with carbs but that aside another issue I have this ski is the hull damage. We recently bought a fx cruiser FI, so we are selling our two, two stroke yamahas. Heres the delima, I bought the 03xl700 as a pretty decent two ski plus trailer deal (like really good deal 3 years ago) with a seadoo something or other that wouldn't start had low compression yadda yadda, sold it for half the price I paid for the trailer and ski. The xl700 needed "carb work" plus was badly damaged. I'll snap some pictures and include them shortly. Now I plan on doing some light chip repair on my 99 gp760(owned it since 04)and detailing before selling but I'm a complete novice when it comes to fiber glass. Most I've done was in my teens I made a few boxes for speakers and a couple of lcd enclosures for cars. All covered with some kinda wrap so fairing and sanding to a high degree was not needed. I'm looking for some advice if this would be worth repairing or just see how much extra would be involved with swapping the engine over to a 97 gp760 hull in alot better shape for $150 (hullm but about 200 miles away so might as well make it 200, plus regitration and title transfer for somewhere in the 400 range total not including any parts needed for transfer that are not in the ski (said he sold engine and carbs I'm just hoping the driveline is left in and preserved as I doubt the longer xl700 shaft would fit.) Could use some good advice from those who tried and repaired it good enough or failed. A shop is not an option I don't want much more money into it I can spend a few weekends here and there hopefully before end of summer for good sale. I can spend $200 hundred or so if it'll bring price up enough to make my time worth it, but not another thousand or so. This isn't a cheap buy and flip thing, I've owned these for a while and rode both a few times but buyers come looking and even though I explain everything that wrong and included pictures I still get buyers who are appaulled when they show up or waste an hr of my time just to say the crack they saw to begin with made them uninterested.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 03 xl700 repair or pull engine?

Hate to tell you the bad news, but I would not make an offer on the ski in its current condition. It shows that the ski was ridden hard and has had the crap beat out of it. After looking at the extent of the hull damage - a couple of hundred bucks would only deplete your wallet and I still would run away from this POS.

I suggest your best bet would be to part-out the ski by offering the pump, ride plate, controls, seats?, engine, and carbs as separate items on EBAY - assuming you get some offers. The buyers may take off the parts they want to purchase. Just my .02 cents.

erie_guy

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

just part it out that hull is trashed ive seen some bad hulls but thats really bad not worth the time to switch it all over once you pay all the stuff you'll get less then its worth selling it in the other hull you can use ebay xh20 pwctoday or greenhulk to sell the stuff people are always wanting 700 parts

merc4now

Cadet

Repaired the damaged, I now own a quart of west system expoy resin and hardener with pumps fun stuff. I'll posts pics soon if anyone cares.