'02 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI - Oil pressure switch location?

JPTL

Seaman
The gauge is pegging with ignition on/engine off. Starting the engine, there's a small movement, but still shows 80psi.
I was going to check the wire(s) at the switch to see if there's a ground issue.
Where is the switch located on this engine?
Is it accessible from above? (Sea Ray 230 BR...pretty tight in there)
Thanks!
JP

alldodge

Staff member
Is probably port side rear of engine block where the remote oil filter connects. Will have 2 sensors Tee'd out the side of the block. Large one is for the gauge and other is for the ECM

JPTL

Seaman
Thanks for the quick reply!
Another question: I'm chasing after a dying on acceleration condition - as though there's a fuel delivery issue. Starts and idles fine, just won't accelerate past about 2k. If there's an oil pressure sensor that feeds to the ECM, Is there a limp-home feature on these engines that may come into play when the sensor reads too high or too low psi?

kenny nunez

Captain
Most of the time the oil pressure switch is located just above the oil filter location. There may be 2 senders at that location, one is for the fuel injection and the larger one is the sender. Can you see the back side of the gauge, if so look at the sender blue wire to be sure it is not being grounded. Disconnect it and then turn on the ignition to be sure the gauge is the problem.
If the gauge is not the problem then dis connect the wire at the sender . If it still reads high it could be the wire is grounded somewhere.

Searay has a bad habit of building their boats around the engine and burying them so it really makes servicing a PITA.

kenny nunez

Captain
If you have 1 sender it will have more than 1 wire. Just be sure the wires are not damaged before removing the sender.
Sometimes a gauge that has pegged really hard damages it where it will not read anymore.
Try to post the serial # of your engine.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the quick reply!
Another question: I'm chasing after a dying on acceleration condition - as though there's a fuel delivery issue. Starts and idles fine, just won't accelerate past about 2k. If there's an oil pressure sensor that feeds to the ECM, Is there a limp-home feature on these engines that may come into play when the sensor reads too high or too low psi?
A few things can cause it and there is a power reduction mode (limp) but when this happens normally there alarm sounds. Can check fuel pressure at the rail. Its probably 43 psi but would need your serial number to verify.

The ECM could have some codes but would need a scanner to see what they are

JPTL

Seaman
Thanks for the replies! This SR is no spring chicken. It's a lake boat now, but was a bay boat for most of its life. Much more corrosion than a lifetime lake boat. For that reason, I think I'll have all of the grounds cleaned for starters. Probably not the issue here, but it's a good whileyou'reatit thing to do.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not entirely sure without checking, but I don’t think this engine is affected or has anything related or corresponding, with regards to oil pressure and fuel pumps. Certainly the older carb vortec engines do. Not so sure about these though.
I’ve an mpi v8 and know many others locally. Not sure I’ve known an issue with oil pressure sender faulting on these, just yet. Either way, I can tell you that the VesselView mobile is an amazing thing for telling you exactly what’s going on with your engine. No more relying on questionable analogue gauges.
I’d say that your lack of power issue is likely more to do with left over fuel from last year, or famously…the distributor cap mpi issue