01 Mercruiser 3.0L v4 parked for 4 years without proper care

bryen813

Seaman Apprentice
Its a 2001 Searay 180

So i'm just about done getting the boat back to at least running! but then I know that maintenance to a boat is necessary to keep it running good so let's assume that all fluids, everything when the boat was ran last was just left as is and it sat for 4 years!!!!!

I completely drained the tank (but didn't know what I could do to clean it if I needed to?), Changed spark plugs, Plug wires, Cap & Rotor, Starter, Rebuilt Carb., New battery, New key switch.

Anyways so I bought this boat from my friends mom and I want it to run like she says it did when she last was in it.

Can you help me come up with a list of things I need to do to be sure the steering works properly, most common issues with boats that sit and things I can do to prevent or fix these issues immediately.

I don't know much about boats other then what i've learned getting it running so your input/experiences will be greatly appreciated!

Basically I want to do everything that the shop would do if I brought it in to have them check on it. Or at least everything a DYI can do at home before or preferably without bringing it in to get serviced for I have already spent a fortune getting the boat + getting parts to repair!!!

Thanks again,
Bryen

bryen813

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 01 Mercruiser 3.0L v4 parked for 4 years without proper care

SOLVED. Much appreciation for searay tech aaron