£20million superyacht goes up in flames

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
61317741-11105305-A_20million_superyacht_belonging_to_an_Italian_businessman_worth-a-12_1660293409223.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Glad no one was hurt. I'd hate to be the one responsible for whatever caused that issue! Seen a few bigger newer boats that have had wiring issues, nothing that big but it doesn't take much for something to happen. Heck, Maby it had lithium-ion batteries that shorted?

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Glade all are safe, some ones rates are insurance going up

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Heck, Maby it had lithium-ion batteries that shorted?
Very common now to have a battery room and a bank of inverters to run the boat for up to a week without running a generator

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Very common now to have a battery room and a bank of inverters to run the boat for up to a week without running a generator
Yes I know. Seen one that came in several years ago, it had 30 8d batteries, plus the engine batteries. Clean install, but glad we didn’t have to replace that lot!

airshot

Rear Admiral
Once fiberglass ignites....it burns quick and hot !! Doesnt take much to get it going, however, aluminum doesnt burn, that is why all my boats are alum..lol..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Once fiberglass ignites....it burns quick and hot !! Doesnt take much to get it going, however, aluminum doesnt burn, that is why all my boats are alum..lol..
Aluminum does burn. once the Diesel or Jet A on the yacht gets going, the aluminum will burn right down to the waterline.

aluminum dust is highly explosive

airshot

Rear Admiral
Aluminum does burn. once the Diesel or Jet A on the yacht gets going, the aluminum will burn right down to the waterline.

aluminum dust is highly explosive
My yacht is no where that big, and I keep any dust cleaned up!! Lol...