finding used specialty parts

LilRedNeckGirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have found , over many years, that finding used aftermarket specialty parts can be a huge challenge.
Over the winter, for an example, We had in mind, finding a used hard top, the type that replaces the canvas bimini.
considering the number of boats useing these, it seemed that finding a used one would be fairly easy....
Now we know, that every year, thousands of boats are retired to salvage yards. a percentage of these boats have after market hard tops. Yet, after an exaustive search, including ebay, craigslist, etc, there was not one used hard top out there.
WE have run into this many times with many different boats.
So, Im wondering is there is a resource for boat salvage yards, or if the powers that be would consaider starting a sticky thread just for salvage yard contact info?
WE run a 1985 Wellcraft 248 Sportsman, and really dont want to spend over $3000.00 for a custom top delivered to our door. We thought that a used model could be had for .25 cents on the dollar. Our best offers were scratch and dent models at 50% retail, but they were non compatable with our boats 8 foot beam, @ most were small center consol "T-Tops".
we had also considered building our own, but do not want to end up with some 'herti gerti' looking thing strapped up on our boat.... i had bad dreams that included bungee cords and fishing string going through rough waters saying hail marys....
we have seen some of those home maders, and just cant see going that route....
there really hould be a resource here for this types of used equipment ....

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: finding used specialty parts

There are a few places around Port Clinton, Ohio that have tired old boats put out to pasture.

puma4440

Seaman Apprentice
Re: finding used specialty parts

If its a big enough salvage yard, they can put it on "the wire" to all other salvage yards who are on that network...alot of equipment from work was made prior to 1948, and I'm able to track parts down once my salvage yard puts it on "the wire"...worth a shot anyways.