Will this work?

Hi all

I have a 1950 Tubbs Craft semiv 15 foot aluminum. My question is, is a 35 hp too big for it. The boat does not show a hp rating on it. I have a 7.5 merc on it now but it is anemic for this application. The engine runs good but is just to small. I was thinking of going eith around a 20 and maybe adding a steering console in the front to distribute the weight better as I am a big guy and don't want to overload with weight in the stearn of the boat.

James

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Will this work?

Without more information and/or pictures of the boat it's hard to gauge what size engine would be maximum for it. My guess is that a 35 would be pushing the envelope at the very least.

Here is the link to a recent thread on the same subject concerning an older model Lonestar boat. Maybe the information there will be of some help.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=532851&p=3643322#post3643322

Thank you. I appreciate it. I figured it was but thought about doing it. I am fairly new to boating so I didn't want to push my luck.IMG_2668.jpgIMG_2669.jpgIMG_2673.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, I think I would stay with a 20 too and go through the transom and make sure it is good, they just didn't have big engines back then so I doubt it is rated for a 35

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

You have the length, and appear to have the width with adequate freeboard. Transom is really braced well. I'd blow $50 and do as 64 mentioned and get some 3/4" plywood and some water sealer and replace the wooden part of your transom.

A side console on the starboard side and a 35 should do nicely on this boat. I had a Merc 30 hp on a 14 ft boat with side console and it performed very well and was no way unsafe. Friend had a 14' Alumacraft with a Johnny 33 with side console and it did nicely, not unsafe.

HTH,
Mark

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

If you go mostly solo, I'd choose an 18-25 hp with stick steer or side console. If you go out with friends, say 3 in the boat, you're gonna want up to 30-35 hp. Nice boat.

Thank ya'll for all your feedback. I am usually gonna have at least one person with me. I am not looking for a speedboat just want to get across a lake at more than a snails pace. Can you alter a tiller style engine to work on a side console?
Thanks again.
James

Thanks tmcalavy I like it, and I got it for a good deal. Perfect for a little late night fishing for me and Dad.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Can you alter a tiller style engine to work on a side console?
Thanks again.
James

Don't have to change a thing. Just put your tiller handle up to the vertical position, connect your steering to the place made for it and go about your business. Back in the 50-60's open boats with side consoles were the norm for my pal around bunch of guys and we just put stock engines on the transom. In those days pulley-cable systems were the way steering was done and there was a slot in the front lifting handle of the engine where the adapter inserted to connect to the cables. Tiller handle was not in the way for that.

Today you can install a Teleflex single cable steering that goes down the side of the boat to the transom, deadmans on the transom close to the engine and the center cable attaches to the engine and the tiller handle is on the other side of the engine, surely not in the way. If your engine has a hollow tilt tube, the deadman isn't necessary. The outer conductor of the cable connects through the hollow tilt tube, and out the other side, the center connects to the engine. Walk in the park.

Mark

Thanks everyone for your input. I recently acquired a '73 Johnson 25 hp in a horse trade. I still would like to add steering though. Does anyone know where I could find A side console after market or would I be better off building one?
Thanks again for all the help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Thanks everyone for your input. I recently acquired a '73 Johnson 25 hp in a horse trade. I still would like to add steering though. Does anyone know where I could find A side console after market or would I be better off building one?
Thanks again for all the help.

Simple to build from sheet aluminum or plywood covered in fiberglass or just varnish. Mount on one side, add a steering system, remote controls, maybe a gauge or two and some switches. Have fun.