fuel dumping in the carb after shutdown

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I shut my boat down after running it I looked down the throat of the carb and I noticed fuel was dumpin in. Its never realy flooded out but I to have to play with the throttle to get it going again (usely I don't have to). I just rebuilt the carb n I didn't have any problems I was sure I did it right so if I didn't I don't have the slightest clue as to what it could be.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel dumping in the carb after shutdown

Ayuh,... What motor,..?? What carb,..??

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh. Duh haha. Its a 1992 3.0lx and its a 2 barrel carb

TilliamWe

Banned

Fuel pump is bad? They have a tube that is supposed to do exactly what yours is doing, when they fail internally.

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you sure about that? Cuz I've checked that tube multiple times and I have never seen fuel in it, bothe before and after I noticed that. However when I noticed it dunping fuel I did not check that tube right when I noticed the dumping. Wouldn't there be gas in that all the time if it was the pump?

Also it seems like the gas is coming from those nozzles in the carb.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

That happened on my old Camaro Z28 It ended up being a prob wit the needle, seat and float. The float was sinking [fuel logged], holding the needle off the seat. Are you sure the float is set properly? Im no carb expert. I am not suggesting that that IS the prob, but just relating my experience . There will be better ideas forthwich, Im sure..

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I like advice that comes frome experiance the best. The float I know is good. And the needle and seat are new however I will be sure to check if I do have to take the carb off again.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

unless the new float came in the kit you dont know its good.did you weight the float? A fuel soaked float, needle or seat or a fuel pump with very high pressure are the only ways fuel is just dumped.

snowman51789

Petty Officer 2nd Class

But wouldn't it do it all the time then? It only dose it when its hot.

TilliamWe

Banned

Are you sure about that? Cuz I've checked that tube multiple times and I have never seen fuel in it, bothe before and after I noticed that. However when I noticed it dunping fuel I did not check that tube right when I noticed the dumping. Wouldn't there be gas in that all the time if it was the pump?

Also it seems like the gas is coming from those nozzles in the carb.

Well, with this additional explaination of what you have and haven't observed, it doesn't sound like the fuel pump.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Are the nozzles your speaking of, the accelerator pump nozzles? Ya probably know that when you hit the throttle, the accelerator pump , pumps a quick shot of fuel into the carbs so the engine doesn't bog from a momentary lack of fuel..until the vacuum of the engine takes over and pulls fuel thru the venturies { I believe }.There is a little o ring, or seal, on the acc pump. If thats bad or missing, it may allow fuel seepage. You say fuel is leaking into the engine,.. How long does it leak for ? Once again I am no carb expert, just throwing out some ideas .......!