Prop lock

SweeperForce

Chief Petty Officer
Is there sch thing as a prop lock? I keep my boat in a storage lot for boats and RVs. I really don't want keep buying propellers if they were to be stolen.

Thanks,
Tom

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prop lock

...yeah, what he said! My boat sits in the driveway, and I still remove my prop after each use. There is a side benefit to this method as well...less likelihood of prop damage going unnoticed if you handle it each time out, and no road/travel damage if you only have it on while in the water. YMMV! :p

PROPer

Seaman

The prop locks are fairly effective, but if someone wants your prop they are going to get it. However if the boat stored next to yours does not have a lock, theirs is most likely going to get lifted instead of yours. If you are really worried about it, just take it off while in storage.

Brewman61

Ensign

I keep my boat on the trailer in outdoor secured storage in the off season. I use a prop lock, coupler lock on the trailer hitch, locking lugnuts on the trailer wheels, a spare lock for the trailer's spare tire, and a locknut on the outdrive. Hopefully it's frustrating enough that any thief would bother some other boat instead of mine. And ultimately, I have comprehensive coverage in case criminal scum do get it.

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have also purchased a few deterrents which I know wont prevent a determined thief but I figure it may frustrate a not so determined thief.

1. Mcgard Propeller Lock
2. Mcgard outboard lock
3. Trailer wheel locks
4. Trailer coupling lock