Four Winns 230 vs Chaparral 236 ssx HELP!

WishIKnew

Recruit
Hello-I'm about to get back into boating so here's the quick version of the HELP I need and the two boats I've narrowed it down to: 2004 Four Winns Horizon 230 VP 270HP DP 150hrs, stored on a rack for 2 years in shrink wrap till this year. Being sold by local marina with a price of 20k and boat slip for next year/winterization thrown in and 60 day warranty. Boat looks new and is really great shape, but I'm concerned with age and being stored for a few years without use. Marina replaced fuel pump, cyclinders/mani look clean, etc.
My other choice is a 2007 Chaparral 236 with 70 hours and perfectly maintained and being sold privately by the original owner with extended warranty for 2 years. Chap has VP 320HP DP and is really awesome looking, however goes over my budget to 32k (and I'll have to pay for slip and winterization) which is my main stumbling block

I'm in the salt water down in Virginia area. Should I suck it up and spend the extra money (with a small loan) for a slightly newer boat and bigger engine that I trust the history? Please send all comments, thank you!:rolleyes:

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Four Winns 230 vs Chaparral 236 ssx HELP!

It would nice be nice not to have a loan. But both a good brands. It really depends on what you like better. Without seeing the boats all things being said and equal the Four Winns sounds like a better deal as it comes with the extra stuff like a slip for next year. But tha Chaparral sounds real nice. Either way it sounds like you will have one heck of a boat. Let us know how it goes.

WishIKnew

Recruit

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply, I hope I get a lot more!!
I know the FW seems like a better deal right now, I'm just not sure if in the long run I will get banged with more costs (nickle and dimed) with the FW based on storage history, hours, etc. and perhaps I should suck it up now and spend the extra $$ for Chap. Both seem to be great family boats and I have a four pack of kids attached to me...FW power is less, but will suffice for tubing and skiing with fam. Please keep posts coming, I want to get this boat this weekend since Earl is going away.

NHGuy

Captain

Are they closed cooled? Important in the salty water. That is a tie breaker.

WishIKnew

Recruit

I really don't know if they're closed cooled, but I'll find out. The FW has the neutra-salt (which is totally empty now). I'm fairly certain the Chap owner flushed the engine consistently (He's kept the boat immaculate and I believe him that he's done that). Would you really say that all else is equal for this to be the tie breaker? Thank you!

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am biased but I love my Chap, they make awesome boats that last a long time and are typically only built using top shelf parts. My concern with the FW are two things, one, the motor is probably underpowered for that big of a boat, and when those 4 kids get bigger and want to ski or wakeboard that could be an issue. The other bigger issue is the fact that the FW was rack stored for 2 years. The worst thing you can do to a boat is let it sit for a few years without use. Rubber gaskets and plastic parts get brittle and dry out and then over time develop leaks. My last boat was 8 years old and only had 50 hours on it but it was constantly popping leaks due to dried out gaskets. I finally pulled the motor and replaced all gaskets and seals. Course I am anal and cannot stand oil in a bilge or any type of leaks. Just my two cents, but I would buy what you can afford so that could have some bearing as well. I just saved up until I could afford what I wanted as I like to buy once and get what I want so I am not wanting another boat in a few years.

roman74

Recruit

I have a 2007 236 SSX with a 320 HP GXI-DPS-A. Mine now has 135 hrs. Beautiful boat. 12 person capacity, sink, head, 20 degree deadrise, corsa exhaust, clarion sound system, stainless steel hardware everywhere, pop-up cleats. It's a beautiful boat in the water. I have many pics. Let me know if you have any questions about the model. I did my research befoer buying. It's my second chaparral. FourWinns make good boats but not on the same level w/ Chaparral. BTW 32k is a good deal. Does it come w/ a trailer?

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 2007 236 SSX with a 320 HP GXI-DPS-A. Mine now has 135 hrs. Beautiful boat. 12 person capacity, sink, head, 20 degree deadrise, corsa exhaust, clarion sound system, stainless steel hardware everywhere, pop-up cleats. It's a beautiful boat in the water. I have many pics. Let me know if you have any questions about the model. I did my research befoer buying. It's my second chaparral. FourWinns make good boats but not on the same level w/ Chaparral. BTW 32k is a good deal. Does it come w/ a trailer?

I know I'm biased but I beg to differ that the Chap is a cut above the Four Winn's. I wonder why you think that?

For 12k difference, I'm buying the 4 Winns over the Chap. The boats are comparable in quality- -see comment above. If the 20k is the asking price, offer 17k and meet in the middle if you can. One of the big reasons I love my boat is that it is paid for.

Major engine flaws aside, it's a boat and it's an expensive hobby; be prepared to spend money. B.O.A.T.= Break Out Another Thousand. Best of luck with your decision.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I loved my Chap. when I had it. Given your choice, at the same price, I would choose the Chap hands down, however, at a 12k differance in price, I think I would have to choose the FW. Both are good boats. If they are basically the same boat, as far as features and all, then I would go with the FW.

Chuunthor

Cadet

IMO, the SSx is a is in a different class than a Horizon. The Horizon is a pretty standard bowrider. The SSx, it's a Chap thats been tricked out as an 'extreme' towboat. All the bells and whistles and whatnot. Look closer into the features of each boat. 12K is a big difference, but thats a great deal for a 236 SSx.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

Personally, given a sea test and happiness, I'd go with the 20k boat over the 32k boat. Boating is expensive, and when times get tough, it's tough to justify a 32k loan that doesn't get you to work or keep you warm in the night.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Why not offer a low ball price for the Chap. Summer is coming to an end and no one who is selling a boat now, wants to pay storage and have a year older boat to sell next spring. Plus, there are not that many buyers out there right now. I would offer 28 and tell them the offer stands. As winter approaches and they have to pay for winterization, storage and depreciation for another year, they may change their mind. Course, it could be a situation where the owner is upside down with the boat and owes 32K. I found my 2 year old Chaparral 204SSi with 30 hours, all options plus a tower 2 years ago with an asking price of 35K on the lot in Feb, I drove it home in March for 24K. Course this was 2 years ago when things were really bad and people were fire selling toys. You may have to widen your search area as well if you want a specific brand.

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally, given a sea test and happiness, I'd go with the 20k boat over the 32k boat. Boating is expensive, and when times get tough, it's tough to justify a 32k loan that doesn't get you to work or keep you warm in the night.

My thinking exactly!

As mentioned above, winter is coming as storage costs are coming along with a year of depreciation. I know you don't want to insult the Four Winns owner, but upon further review I would off 15k and meet in the middle. He has the same problem mentioned here on his boat as the Chap owner. At least you will find out where he bottoms on price when he goes firm. And, yeah, it's not a great boat market out there, you're in driver's seat for the most part.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

So true! They were asking 24k for mine and I got it for 18k with a trailer (not in the original deal). There's deals to be had. Play them against each other. Make them take you out. Try them. See if there's any hidden deals with the wife (my hidden deal turned out to be a $20k and 2 month kitchen remodel...that really increased the cost of the boat! ;)