Mercruiser 4.3L grinding noise ?

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have 4.3l alpha I gen II carb. When turning boat at high and low rpms/speeds; hearing a noise (vibration type) and also notice some vibration, more so than when the boat was new. matter of fact was not noticeable then. When straightening out boat noise and vibration are not as noticeable. Any ideas what could be causing this? (thought it may be prop; but it that looks good).

shopboy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mercruiser 4.3L grinding noise ?

Sounds like your U joints. Any idea how old they are? Whens the last time the outdrive/bellows was serviced?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

how long since gimble bearing/u-joint service????

dhook

Cadet

My Larson did the same thing. Ran ok alllll day long but when I would turn left or right it would make a growling noise.
Ended up being the gimble bearing. Replaced and haven't had a problem since. I know, I know...just a matter of time :rolleyes:

extreme76

Seaman

I agree, gimbal bearing and/or u-joints. Mine did the exact same thing last year. I replaced the bearing and the u-joints and the sound went away.

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

2006 Tahoe Q6 S/F. This will be the 5th season. After the second season; had gimbal bearing replaced - service shop said moisture got to it from possibly sitting thru the winter. was covered under warranty. Now, no longer under warranty. Is this common to have to be replaced again after 3 seasons? and/or what would be the cause of premature failure? Thanks all!

tahoejag

Petty Officer 1st Class

2006 Tahoe Q6 S/F. This will be the 5th season. After the second season; had gimbal bearing replaced - service shop said moisture got to it from possibly sitting thru the winter. was covered under warranty. Now, no longer under warranty. Is this common to have to be replaced again after 3 seasons? and/or what would be the cause of premature failure? Thanks all!