cd16 top roll pin rubbing

sperry43

Seaman Apprentice
Hey..I have a cd16 5.5 the roll pin at the top of the drive shaft that supports the carbon thing a majig and the cork seal is rubbing on the mid section housing. The water pump impeller pin is in the right position as far as height goes, not contacting the wear plate. What would make that roll pin contact the housing?? it does not stick out past the edge of the brass washer.
Any suggestions?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: cd16 top roll pin rubbing

Hey..I have a cd16 5.5 the roll pin at the top of the drive shaft that supports the carbon thing a majig and the cork seal is rubbing on the mid section housing. The water pump impeller pin is in the right position as far as height goes, not contacting the wear plate. What would make that roll pin contact the housing?? it does not stick out past the edge of the brass washer.
Any suggestions?

I don't quite follow what you are saying. Here is how it is supposed to be assembled--is that how yours is?

The 303355 gasket should be glued to the 303356 plate and the pair are against the powerhead and do not move. Everything else rotates as a unit with the shaft.

Attachments

• 5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0

sperry43

Seaman Apprentice

Yes FR, #303261 is rubbing on the housing where the drive shaft comes up from the lower unit, Thinking about getting my dremel and removing a liitle bit of the housing so the pin wont contact the housing.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Well either it's the wrong pin or the drive shaft is out of alignment. Seems odd though.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Well either it's the wrong pin or the drive shaft is out of alignment. Seems odd though.

I just measured a couple of pins. They are supposed to be 11/16" long. Somebody put a longer one in yours?

sperry43

Seaman Apprentice

FR I just figured out the drive shaft is going down too far,and letting the roll pin make contact with the mid section housing. Is there some kind of spacer to keep the drive shaft from going too deep into the shock absorber??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

FR I just figured out the drive shaft is going down too far,and letting the roll pin make contact with the mid section housing. Is there some kind of spacer to keep the drive shaft from going too deep into the shock absorber??

If that is happening, why isn't the water pump drive pin dragging on the stainless plate? Well anyhow, to answer your question there is a bronze or hardened steel washer on the bottom of the shock absorber. Is the washer still there or is it worn out? If missing or severly worn, the shock absorber will drop down, and the drive shaft will go with it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Has the lower unit on your motor ever been replaced? If so, there are a couple different upper shafts for that style lower unit depending on which motor the unit originally came on. It's possible yours has been swapped at some point and you have a shaft that is too short...

sperry43

Seaman Apprentice

I think you hit the nail on the head!!
That is want it seemed like was that the driveshaft was too short. I did swap the lower unit for an Evenrude. It was a complete lower unit and looked identical, but didn't really compare the shaft length, but I bet you are right. Can I just drop a ball bearing or something in the shock absorber to make up for the short shaft??

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Do you still have the other lower unit? If so, just swap out the upper driveshafts... Drying to cobble it together likely won't work well in the long run.