1966 Evinrude Charging System

I am not charging anymore in my 66 40 HP Lark. I tested the generator and it passed. I am assuming that it is my regulator. How can I test and can I use an old 60's style regulator for a car. I have had no luck finding a new voltage regulator. Thanks Carl

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 Evinrude Charging System

I am not charging anymore in my 66 40 HP Lark. I tested the generator and it passed. I am assuming that it is my regulator. How can I test and can I use an old 60's style regulator for a car. I have had no luck finding a new voltage regulator. Thanks Carl

And just how did you test the generator?

Did you check the 4 amp fuse in the junction box? And the clips that it goes in for corrosion? If that is ok, then check back. No point in me typing the whole test procedure if it is just the fuse.

A car regulator won't work. Well, some of them might work but will burn up the generator. New regulators are available from Evinrude dealers. Maybe it is the $100 price that is scareing you off?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Regulator:
Product Details:

Part Number: 0381537
Description: VOLT. REG
Pack Qty: 1
Dimensions: N/A
Weight: N/A
Equivalent Parts: 0383609

Available at the dealer, http://shop2.evinrude.com

I tested the generator following the procedures in the manual. When i follow the polorize test the unit spins. However when I ground the field terminal the manual said that this bypass the regulator and the amp meter should show charge. However mind does not show charge, which make me think it could be the generator? I am not sure and i am at a lost. The fused are good and there is no corrision. Could the contacts in the regulator be dirty? Carl