Boat "creeping"

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys, cant find any threads already talking about boat creep in a jet boat, i have a 94 Baja SJ 90, has a 3 cyl merc 90 horse I/O motor.
When the boat is in neutral it moves forward, even if i pull out the neutral knob to throttle while warming up, but has no problems while drivin or reversing. I was told this is called creep, i was also told that if i changed the gear oil it should help, but it only has 10 hrs on it, is there a transmission between the motor and jet?? im new at the jet boats im used to my old searay.
any suggestions appreciated.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Boat "creeping"

I don't know much about Jets, but you say jet and I/O as the same unit? anyhow my I/O creeps a little too in neutral maybe because of exhaust propulsion with a running engine i never gave it much thought.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

This is the wrong area for this but here is your answer anyways....

Jet boats do not have a true neutral. All of them either creep a little forwards or backwards. Nature of the beast.

If you are talking about an inboard motor going out to something like a Berkley Jet Drive then there is typically no tranny. There is always a flow going through the jet when started and you will need to dial in the place diverter. ( the cap that moves up and down to increase or decrease the water flow out the jet.)
There needs to be a happy medium between the water moving straight out and the water taking the tunnel that would give you reverse.

Fun Times

Staff member

Agreed, a little adjustment of the diverter should take care of it.
X 2 more then likely you will need to aujust the cable going to the diverter a little bit. jet's:eek::)

corzy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok thanks guys, has anyone adjusted the diverter? is that the par that is rounded and covers over about half of the opening of the jet drive?
i knew that there is always water flowing, but i need to tie the stern end when i start the boat or it will start moving away, not fast but fast enough i cant just tie the bow while i drive the truck off the ramp.
thanks again

Fun Times

Staff member

ok thanks guys, has anyone adjusted the diverter? is that the par that is rounded and covers over about half of the opening of the jet drive?
i knew that there is always water flowing, but i need to tie the stern end when i start the boat or it will start moving away, not fast but fast enough i cant just tie the bow while i drive the truck off the ramp.
thanks again
I did not read it,But this link looks like it might tell you how to adjust it. Good luck,