1993 50HP Johnson steering issues.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice
So, another saga of this 'free' boat is the steering. I am pretty sure I can tell how it is supposed to work, but that is far from how it is 'working' now. The wheel turns, but the rod is not all the way through the motor mount, and the smaller rod that goes through the main rod, is not coming out the other side where the motor can hook to it. I have pictures I can email you, but since I don't have photobucket yet, I can't put them in these messages. Once you see the picture, I am sure you can will be able to tell me the oh-so-simple way to fix this that I should have been able to figure out on my own.

So, anybody that can work on steering linkage, PM me an email address and I'll send the pic to you to look at.

Thanks in advance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 50HP Johnson steering issues.

you will have to unbolt the motor so the shaft can go all the way thru. the will not bend, and you cannot force then. if the tube is corroded, they make a brush you put in a drill to clean the tube. the nut on the cable has to fasten to the threads on the motor.

MVC-930S.jpg

MVC-931S.jpg

then you need the link arm that goes from the rod end to the center of the motor.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1993 50HP Johnson steering issues.

I have the rod that goes from the steering arm to the center of the motor.

When you say I have to unbolt the motor.....care to elaborate?:eek:

It's not corroded. I can send you pics of what it looks like right now. Not too bad actually.....