Emergency Starting if Rope Broken

markh28

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1979 4.5hp Mercury. I want to start it with the cowling off to see if my carb repair was successful and it wont leak gas. The pull starter is inside the cowling. The top of my flywheel is identical to the pic I attached.

This would also come in handy if the rope broke out on the lake.

Any ideas?

(p.s. thanks to thegreensurfingman on ebay for the pic)

Attachments

• flywheel.jpg
    flywheel.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 0

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Emergency Starting if Rope Broken

If it's as easy to start as my old Merc 60 ( 1964 6 hp ) there's no problem :).

Cowling of, pump up the fuel pressure, move throttle to start....one palm on each side of the flywheel, a quick turn and it's running ( keep thumbs away from the notches on the flywheel ) .

Arne Kjetil

markh28

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That doesnt seem to work. Can't get enough spin to get it going. I have fuel leaking from somewhere and I wont be able to tell from where until I run it with the cowling off. I don't think I want to try pulling the cowling off while its runnnig...Any other suggestions?

markh28

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How do I start my motor with the cowling off?

How do I start my motor with the cowling off?

I've started working on this again so I'm going to bump this thread.

I tried starting it by using my hands, cant get enough torque on it. Someone suggested that I start it then remove the cowling off while its running but this isnt possible cause the cowling bumps into the flywheel as its coming off so thats not an option.

Surely someone out there on this forum has this type of small mercury and has worked on it running, with the cowling off. There has to be a way. Is there some kind of special tool I need? I'm baffled. Someone has to have done this.

Theres no emergency rope starter on it, and wrapping a rope around the teeth on top the flyweel doesnt work cause theres really no way for the rope to "grab" onto anything.....

Sure hate to take this thing into a shop...

MIKEY*2007

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is there a nut holding fly wheel on in center hole, use socket and extension bar fitted to power drill, or take prop off put in gear put nut on do same

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it was a twin maybe you could remove one spark plug?
Take a belt,an old serpentine belt maybe and tape one end to the flywheel,wrap it once or twice and give her a yank.It should not be too difficult to devise something that will work.....and when you do....leave it in the boat just in case:))Ron G

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

How about bolting some type of V pulley to the top of the flywheel when you needed to for emergency starting. You could notch it like a normal rope style flywheel, and drill three holes to match the puller holes in your flywheel.

I wouldn't want to run the engine wide open with it attached, but at least it would get you back to the ramp.

Attachments

• Screen 00001.jpg
    Screen 00001.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 0

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

My 1962 Merc 110 has a similar flywheel. I couldn't do mine by spinning it with my hands. I have successfully done what you are talking about three ways:

1. Carefully remove the top cowl after starting--just be careful.
2. Wrap a rope around the flywheel, crossing the first turn over the end of the rope to hold it. Wrap it tight. Friction works. May need to try a couple different ropes to find one that works. Or try a strap. If the flywheel is too slick, maybe a turn of tape on the wheel will give better purchase.
3. The power drill with a socket (as described above) works also, and is good with a really hard to start motor since you can crank the daylights out of it. Had to do that on one with a bad choke butterfly before I figured out that was the problem.

With all three, be careful. My attorney asked me to add this advice: I must recommend you not do any of these for safety reasons. In fact, don't use outboard motors and never go out on the water. In fact, never go outside. There, I think I coverd all the bases.

Motor Boater Bill