The Lake will never be the same again

DeepCMark58A

Commander
My grandsons are getting old enough to tube behind the boat, at slow speed. I went and bought a 3 person tube with a back on it and handles for each seat. Put the boys on it with their Dad and started pulling was not 5 minutes and I was getting the speed up signal. 2-1/2 hours later the boys were hungry so we went in. We got up to just plaining speed and they love it. I think that the boys will be tubing every time they come over. My Grandsons are now official Minnesota water kids where they hop in the boat and come in to fuel up themselves and the boat all summer long.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Kids had their life jackets on while grandma was making pancakes this morning. They were ready to roll, did talk them into fishing off for the dock for a little while but the tube rules.

roffey

Commander
we have a community raft,,, believe it or not people complain the kids make to much noise and boats can't maneuver abound. The raft is 50 feet from shore.

My feeling is if you cant drive around the raft maybe you should hang up the boat keys. My wife and I love to hear the kids splashing and laughing.. cottage life..

DeepCMark58A

Commander
we have a community raft,,, believe it or not people complain the kids make to much noise and boats can't maneuver abound. The raft is 50 feet from shore.

My feeling is if you cant drive around the raft maybe you should hang up the boat keys. My wife and I love to hear the kids splashing and laughing.. cottage life..

There is a divide on the lake I live on, it is going from being a cabin lake to being a house lake. Those of us that live on the lake ignore the "tourist" lake association folks. Lakes are for kids to enjoy.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
yeah, jeez......tourists bring more than kids...
it's called money.
The "tourists" are cabin owners that show up on weekends, the rest of us buy gas, groceries, hardware every week.
The rest, get back to me when you pay the taxes to live on the lake. We don't think we own the lake but will be damned if we will be lectured on using the lake.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
So I found some RC boats online, pretty cool they only run for like 10 minutes at full throttle but they go like heck, Grandson's will have a ball playing with them on the dock, I sure hope they don't cause wake issues after 4 pm, when the association would prefer we park our go fast boats.

airshot

Rear Admiral
R/C boats are awesome....go electric as they are quiet and can go really fast !! Just have a way to retrieve one when it dies or flips over.. Add a piece of Styrofoam inside so it won't sink...

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Good idea, the boats are supposed to be self righting but we will see. It is rechargeable electric.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My bud goes trolling for pan fish with his RC electric boat. a good sized blue gill will get the nose of the boat wiggling as it struggles to pull it to the dock.

I told him one of these days a big bass or northern may hit the bait and the RC boat will go under like the barrels in Jaws......

his reply was "going to need a bigger boat"

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It bings back memories of my hand built 96" WW II Higgins PT Boat. I went way overboard on the drive train parts. It hurt to cut it up After no one wanted the boat with full crew on deck. and the 200 watt sound system synchronized to prop speed. Chainsaw engine.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
My bud goes trolling for pan fish with his RC electric boat. a good sized blue gill will get the nose of the boat wiggling as it struggles to pull it to the dock.

I told him one of these days a big bass or northern may hit the bait and the RC boat will go under like the barrels in Jaws......

his reply was "going to need a bigger boat"
If I rig up the boys boats for fishing, I will do the responsible thing and start a topic here about the correct prop for going from speed to power.

Black58

Seaman Apprentice
Old buddy has 2 RC boats. Gas engine and they have to be 2ft or a little longer. He used to bring them to the lake on party days and those little boats scream at amazing speed! Were always had fun to sit in a lawn chair and watch him run them. Beer was always involved! He lives in Zepyrhills now. Been there a few times to visit and he still has them

The "tourists" are cabin owners that show up on weekends, the rest of us buy gas, groceries, hardware every week.
The rest, get back to me when you pay the taxes to live on the lake. We don't think we own the lake but will be damned if we will be lectured on using the lake.
My neighbor used to peddle the same crap to me about all of the "citidiots" coming up on the weekends. I reminded him that he was once one of those folks coming up on the weekend, but now puffing his chest purely because he was a little older than the rest and able to move up permanently.

As I told him as well, look at yourself to see whom is lecturing about using the lake.

The undisputable truth is that everyone has the same access to lakes in MN. We should treat each other with the same respect and take responsibility for the lakes. Quit trying to draw lines between people and find common grounds. America will be great again if people take a moment and think about how their own divisive behavior affects the world around them.

Signed,
Your neighbor on beautiful "touristy" Lake Vermilion

DeepCMark58A

Commander
My neighbor used to peddle the same crap to me about all of the "citidiots" coming up on the weekends. I reminded him that he was once one of those folks coming up on the weekend, but now puffing his chest purely because he was a little older than the rest and able to move up permanently.

As I told him as well, look at yourself to see whom is lecturing about using the lake.

The undisputable truth is that everyone has the same access to lakes in MN. We should treat each other with the same respect and take responsibility for the lakes. Quit trying to draw lines between people and find common grounds. America will be great again if people take a moment and think about how their own divisive behavior affects the world around them.

Signed,
Your neighbor on beautiful "touristy" Lake Vermilion

I do not believe your situation compares to the situation I am dealing with, I appreciate your perspective. The lake association I am talking about was organized, is run by 100% cabin owners that do not live full time on the lake. There is not a single full time resident on the board based on the attitude they have about "regulating" the lake beyond local and state laws.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My buddy is on his local lake association board. he and the president are the only full-time residents on his lake. I know what he goes thru with the other association members and he is on the board.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
My buddy is on his local lake association board. he and the president are the only full-time residents on his lake. I know what he goes thru with the other association members and he is on the board.

Kinda funny, 3 people showed up for the annual lake association meeting. karma.