What is the part called that the power steering connects to?

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
At the very back of the boat connected to the fiberglass at the very back, in an I/O, there is a circular-ish cast aluminum ring that the power steering ram bolts into. I broke it!

what is that called so I can start looking for a replacement.

Fun Times

Staff member
Are you able to post a picture of the item in question?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is this on your volvo? the steering ram bolts to the transom shield.

scooper77515

Cannot post a pic because boat is stored 4 hours away. Yes it is the Volvo in the Glastron, I will look up that part and verify that it is what I am looking for.

Thanks for the feedback.

scooper77515

Looked it up on ebay, and you are correct. The specific part I need is called Inner Transom Shield.

Again, thanks for the help!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Here's the OMC version, this has the older style actuator but the inner transom mount is very similar.

Attachments

• steering actuator intalled.jpg
    steering actuator intalled.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 8

scooper77515

Ouch!
The engine has to come out......
I figured it would. Actually, I wish I had yanked it before even starting to replace the hydraulic cylinder. I broke the bracket while trying to drive in those big screws that don't actually screw into the cylinder, but just provide pivot points. Doing it all blindly, with a 50+ year old back, reaching around behind the engine...wasn't a fun project, and even less fun when that chunk of cast aluminum hit the bilge! And I KNEW that my $900 job just became WAY MORE EXPENSIVE!!!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The style I have can be rebuilt because the seals are available for the control valve part, but not for the hydraulic cylinder part. Believe it or not the control valve is the same Bendix style unit that was used on cars too (Unibody Fords and Corvettes) that's why there are still parts out there. OMC & Merc used this style till about '90 or so and then changed over to the newer style which is what you have.
There is a place in Fla (5 Starr Marine) that does rebuild these later style actuators.
It can be a real pain to get at, with the engine in place. I wound up installing a good used unit and pulled out the batteries and the exhaust system to get at the mounts and the steering arm. OMC and Volvo used cotter pins on the retainer bolts and that was the thing I had the most trouble with. I think Merc used a retainer plate instead, not sure if those were easier to get off.
While you have the engine out, check/replace anything that is hard/impossible to get at, as well as check the transom especially while you have the chance. Starter, coupler, oil pan, trim lines/pump, etc.
what I had to use to get those *&%$@# cotter pins out without breaking anything:
Cotter pin removal tool.jpg
it's finally OUT!
steerng actuator removal.jpg
this actually took a couple of days of rigging up different things to put force on that cotter pin puller.
when I put the new pins in, they were greased up with OMC triple guard, in case I ever have to do that hateful job again.

Last edited:

scooper77515

One more thing, mine is an SX but I am not sure which sub-model. Would one listed for an SX-C fit all the various SX models? Or would it need to be specific to whatever mine is? I don't know because the boat is 4 hours away. Won't see it again until Memorial Day weekend.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You might want to do some research on this, if I recall correctly there are some seals you can replace but some you can't, so it depends on where exactly it was leaking. There were also a few different design actuators used over the years.
Also I forgot to mention the other pain with this job is getting the cotter pins out for the steering cable and the steering arm. I would for sure pick up a cotter pin remover, and make sure there aren't small children around when you do this job. With the engine out the whole job will be easier, you can also check anything that would be a nightmare to fix with the engine in place. Oil pan, Y pipe, etc....

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have the seal kit and plan on rebuilding the old one. I just don't have a good clean work area to mess with hydraulics and seals.
I probably have resealed about a hundred cylinders on the tail gate of a truck with some blue shop towels and a can of brake cleaner

Don't sweat it in hydraulic systems without CBVs