McGuire's one step compound

Anthonym2

Seaman
2007 sea ray 180 sport
I used the McGuire's one step (no.67) last year to help with heavy oxidation. I did about 5 or 6 passes until the color started to show on the clean buffer pad when I wiped it off. Then applied wax. This year, after only one application the color started to come through and it looks good after only one pass. Does this mean I'm good? Since it took so many passes last year I assume that's because it had not been cleaned or buffed for a long time? Should I apply anything after the one-step compound?

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You definitely need to apply a good wax after compound. Unfortunately I still haven't found a wax that last more than 2 months

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The last boat that I sold was a 35 year old one owner fiberglass boat. It had been waxed by hand 35 times and looked like it was brand new even after all those years. I use a McGuires Quik Wax, which goes on with no elbow grease and does a fine job.

Can't say enough about keeping the boat in a garage when not in use. Compounding and removing oxidation is hard work and certainly does no good to the gel coat. Spending the money for storage certainly trumps the hassle of all that work. My current boat only has 5 coats of McGuires but she really shines nice.
1715124131448.jpeg

airshot

Rear Admiral
The last boat that I sold was a 35 year old one owner fiberglass boat. It had been waxed by hand 35 times and looked like it was brand new even after all those years. I use a McGuires Quik Wax, which goes on with no elbow grease and does a fine job.

Can't say enough about keeping the boat in a garage when not in use. Compounding and removing oxidation is hard work and certainly does no good to the gel coat. Spending the money for storage certainly trumps the hassle of all that work. My current boat only has 5 coats of McGuires but she really shines nice.
View attachment 397850
I like those bumpers....can say I have saw those before !!

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I go over mine every other year, or maybe every 3rd year, with Meguiars Power Cut Compound 91 and then Rejex. At 64 though it's getting very hard on the rotator cuff and thumbs. Mine does stay in enclosed storage. Looking forward to a tinny in the future.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
2007 sea ray 180 sport
I used the McGuire's one step (no.67) last year to help with heavy oxidation. I did about 5 or 6 passes until the color started to show on the clean buffer pad when I wiped it off. Then applied wax. This year, after only one application the color started to come through and it looks good after only one pass. Does this mean I'm good? Since it took so many passes last year I assume that's because it had not been cleaned or buffed for a long time? Should I apply anything after the one-step compound?
You def need to apply wax or polish after the compounding.since you have already had oxidation issues ,I would apply something like Maguire's cleaner/polish and finish with a quality wax like Mothers pure wax. "Any wax is better than no wax".... Charlie