Help Getting Boat on EZLoader Trailer

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I usually don’t have trouble driving my boat up onto the trailer. I leave the forward bunks about 10 inches out of the water, and that seems to do the trick.

However, sometimes I am a complete disaster. Today, for instance, I had the trailer too deep in the water, and I actually ended up having to jump into the lake to try to push the boat onto the trailer and away from adjacent boats with engines running.

What is the general rule on the depth of the trailer? Is too deep a common problem?

More importantly, why is it that my boat was swinging off the bunks and one of the guys nearby who came to help me said I should actually pull the trailer out of the water two more feet and then push the boat over onto the bunks.

That seem counterintuitive to me, but he was absolutely right. Somehow, by pulling the trailer further out of the water we were able to push the boat onto proper seating.

The other thing that happened, and which mystifies me, is that when I had the boat trailer too deep I was actually unable to back the boat off the trailer in reverse. Something was getting caught somehow.

Anyway, any comments or ideas would be appreciated. I’m still drying off. Thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Used to put a V-20 Wellcraft on an easy loader .----Back rollers just under water.------When winch got tight.-----Back up a few feet.----Easy to do.----Correct most folks put trailers in too far for loading.
;

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
On my trailer, the correct depth is when the wheel fenders are submerged. That can change a bit at very shallow (or steep) ramps, but submerged fenders are my indicator.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
This how far/deep I usually back my Bunk EZLoader in, but I have loaded it with the Trailer about 4 feet forward
DSC_0073.JPGDSC_0075b.jpg

My Roller EZLoader never had to go in any further than this

img431c.jpg

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This how far/deep I usually back my Bunk EZLoader in, but I have loaded it with the Trailer about 4 feet forward
View attachment 397515View attachment 397516

My Roller EZLoader never had to go in any further than
Used to put a V-20 Wellcraft on an easy loader .----Back rollers just under water.------When winch got tight.-----Back up a few feet.----Easy to do.----Correct most folks put trailers in too far for loading.
;
;
Are you saying that after winching up, you back the boat back into the water a foot or so, and then winch up again? If so, do you use the motor to edge back up, or just the winch (assuming it could pull the boat up tighter)?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I can't speak for what Racer does, but I drive my Boat on to the Bunk Trailer, yrs ago when I had the Roller Trailer, I always used the Winch. Backing in too deep and you will have many problems trying to get the Boat Centered on the Trailer.
I used to sit at the Launch just for the Entertainment. That makes it sound like I am an A-hole, but I also learned that telling someone they are too deep, usually gets a "I know what I'm doing" response... So I would get a few drinks, and some Chips/Popcorn and watch the Show.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Used to go to a local ramp for the free entertainment as well.-----And yes, when you offer to help you get the ---" we have never had issues before " ---So you just take in the free entertainment.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The rollers/bunks are there to guide the boat onto the trailer. Too deep and they don't do that. Most times when the rollers or bunks are too deep, the boat doesn't load straight. In extreme cases the boat could fall off the trailer.

If the rollers/bunks are too shallow, the worst that can happen is that it makes it hard to drive or winch the boat onto the trailer. I like the rear rollers a few inches under the water, and the front rollers above the water.

BTW, power loading takes a bit of experience to do safely. I would recommend newer boaters use the winch, rather than power load.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Are you saying that after winching up, you back the boat back into the water a foot or so, and then winch up again? If so, do you use the motor to edge back up, or just the winch (assuming it could pull the boat up tighter)?
power loading down here will get you a large ticket as it destroys the area just past the concrete

1714646869987.png

the correct method is to not back in so far and use the winch. the most I have to winch up my 24 foot boat by walking it up the bunks is maybe a foot

FLATHEAD

Captain
Yep, too deep and you’re screwed. Next time you launch back in nice and easy and keep an eye on when the boat starts to float off. Take note how deep your trailer is at that point. That will let you know about how deep you need to be for loading. Agree with Scott. No need to power load.

tpenfield

Staff member
Each boat/trailer combination is going to have its own idiosyncrasies on the common theme of the trailer being at a proper depth.

The hole idea is to have the trailer bunks (or rollers) provide guidance to the hull of the boat while the boat is still floating for the most part.

Too deep - and its like the trailer isn't even there - no guidance from the bunks

Too shallow - and the boat has to be pulled up on the bunks - as the initial contact of the hull is only at the bow section (not enough guidance from the bunks).

Not sure about the situation of backing the boat off . . . but with the trailer too deep, the boat and trailer were at different angles, (boat being more level to the water and trailer being at the slope of the ramp) so it might have snagged something at the bow.

FWIW - I launch & retrieve my 33 foot boat at the local ramp and it is very exciting.

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
power loading down here will get you a large ticket as it destroys the area just past the concrete

View attachment 397525

the correct method is to not back in so far and use the winch. the most I have to winch up my 24 foot boat by walking it up the bunks is maybe a foot
Also, I have a related question. While I was trying to motor the boat forward and backward to better align it onto the bunks, the engine kept lifting out of the water and slamming back down. At first, I thought I had the trim/tilt too high, but I checked, and it seemed about right. However, each time I let back off the throttle, the engine thumped back down. Can you tell me what I was doing wrong?

tpenfield

Staff member
Also, I have a related question. While I was trying to motor the boat forward and backward to better align it onto the bunks, the engine kept lifting out of the water and slamming back down. At first, I thought I had the trim/tilt too high, but I checked, and it seemed about right. However, each time I let back off the throttle, the engine thumped back down. Can you tell me what I was doing wrong?
Sounds like you were a bit heavy-handed with the throttle. Not sure what engine you have . . . some stay down better in reverse than others. Your engine might be lifting up too easily.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps some Air in the Trim System. Check the Service Manual regarding Bleeding. On some, but not all, designs, just running the Pump after the Unit is at the Stops, was the way to purge Air

Pmt133

Petty Officer 1st Class
For me it is the fender ~2-3 inches from being submerged. Idle up to the trailer it goes on ~3/4 of the way, climb up to the bow, hitch the strap and winch the last 3 feet. Drive is typically most of the way up. I used to walk it on at the old ramp but that is closed now. This one is all dirt and I messed up my ankle and knee pretty good from all the wash outs from the wave runners power loading.

I too partake in spectator launches occasionally. You do have to wonder how peoples judgment can be so poor so consistently...
The boat has no plug . . . one of the stranger things about this boat.
Is the boat from down south? My grandparents purchased a few boats from down in Florida and had them up here in NJ and they never had plugs either. Also thought it was odd.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Is the boat from down south? My grandparents purchased a few boats from down in Florida and had them up here in NJ and they never had plugs either.
Self-bailing cockpits?
Don't really need a drain plug

KVH

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like you were a bit heavy-handed with the throttle. Not sure what engine you have . . . some stay down better in reverse than others. Your engine might be lifting up too easily.
I’m driving up to the lake again on Monday. I’m gonna go through this drill again until I get it right. I’m not letting this injustice stand.