Batteries not charging

dubs283

Vice Admiral
sorry but i say bulls@(t

Far out

No need for apologies. I respect your right to have and express an opinion along with my right to disagree with it and vice versa. Its one part of what makes us human and I feel that is much more important than testing alternator output and what makes this public forum interesting: hashing out ideas for troubleshooting issues. Makes for a great learning experience

To be fair OP did ask for a "backyard way" of testing alternator output and your suggestion succeeded in doing so, cheers. There are safer, more efficient ways of testing and I offered what I feel is a pretty quick, safe, and straightforward method of properly testing, ymmv

a70eliminator

Captain
Awsome I appreciate everything guys, guess ill start at the terminals and not only check every connection but also wring them out with my multimeter I want to learn what every single wire does, the batteries look like a nighmare of wiring and I want to clean it all up nice and tidy.

Attachments

• 20240427_073454.jpg
    20240427_073454.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
My son called and said his car alt would stop working on and off while driving. I said when it does it again, tap the alternator with a rubber mallet. Yup it kicks back in right away. The brushes wear out and lose contact. He replaced it right away. If he lived closer I would have just replaced the brushes.

silverbul

Petty Officer 1st Class
Far out

No need for apologies. I respect your right to have and express an opinion along with my right to disagree with it and vice versa. Its one part of what makes us human and I feel that is much more important than testing alternator output and what makes this public forum interesting: hashing out ideas for troubleshooting issues. Makes for a great learning experience

To be fair OP did ask for a "backyard way" of testing alternator output and your suggestion succeeded in doing so, cheers. There are safer, more efficient ways of testing and I offered what I feel is a pretty quick, safe, and straightforward method of properly testing, ymmv
i have been a mechanic pretty much all my life, navy, army, private sector, ( glutten for punishment ) but i have been out of the game for some time, yes im old, and probably not up to current tech. the OLD days were so much more simple so please take my opinion with a grain of salt. but im still right. lol

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The worn out brushes DO EXACTLY the same symptoms in a Alternator and a Starter Motor brushes. Been there several times 60 years ago.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
new or old motor , charging system has a fault , disconnecting a + or - battery terminal has the same outcome , if the ECU was going to have spiked it would have by now .

OP have the battery load tested , it may not be receiving a charge , as posted , a simple test with a MM if you have access to one will tell the out put of the alternator.
other wise no MM , on your older motor , just briefly lift a terminal and see if the motor stalls. ,if motor stall s chances are a diode in the VR has died ( incorporated in the alternator) or the brushes are stuck or worn out.
replacing the alternator or the battery will most likely solve the issue.