Coil

connapp

Recruit
How do you remove the coil on a 4.3 Volvo Penta, it is on the back of the engine, only can see the top of it.

Bondo

Staff member
How do you remove the coil on a 4.3 Volvo Penta, it is on the back of the engine, only can see the top of it.
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... As like with so many things when wrenching on boats,.....
By Braille,....

A mirror, or camera may help you get an idea of exactly where the bolts are,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agree with the by braille comment. most things on a boat are hidden

if you think your coil is bad...... it most likely is not the coil

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In addition to be a contortionist and feeling your way around I find it helpful to look at what the part looks like removed (from pics on the web or a new one in hand). In the case of this coil, it can be misleading when looking how to remove it as there are both screws and rivets that are part of the assembly. The coil assembly contains a bracket that has the two bolts that hold it to the engine. You may be able to replace its individual components once in hand, others will know better. See pics I pulled off the web.

While mine was not failing I did replace the assembly (same unit for 4.3 as 5.0) due to excessive corrosion of the bracket, etc. If you are after replacing it, I would recommend an OEM unit. While you can get aftermarket (AM) ones for ½ to 1/3 the price of OEM, I have read several posts where using an AM one caused intermittent issues or outright left folks stranded.

Attachments

• Coil Pic 1.png
    Coil Pic 1.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Coil Pic 2.png
    Coil Pic 2.png
    438.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Coil Pic 3.png
    Coil Pic 3.png
    227.4 KB · Views: 1

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I finally got into my boat today, so I took a couple of pics showing the 2 bolts for the Coil Assy. I think they are 10mm and with a ¼ drive, an extension topped with a swivel should do the job. Put a small magnet in the socket to hang onto the bolt when removed.

Attachments

• Coil Pic 4.png
    Coil Pic 4.png
    267.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Coil Pic 5.png
    Coil Pic 5.png
    380.8 KB · Views: 5