1980 100hp vs 1986 110hp ignition coils

mvanek21

Cadet
I'm having some issues with my 1980 100hp evinrude (E100TLCSC) and keep dropping a cylinder, i have yet to confirm which cylinder is it but i suspect it is my No.3 cylinder as the coil is showing signs of the yellow glue melting down the side a bit and the wire to the plug has a crack with exposed wire showing at the coil to the plug. I've got a 1986 110hp evinrude (E110TLCDC) parts motor that has brand new looking coils on it. Would swapping these coils into my 100 pose any immediate issues or issues down the road and are they compatible? On crowley marine they have two different coil part no.'s but the picture is identical and im having a tough time knowing whether they are truly compatible or not.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Coils are all the same from about 1979 to 98.----Also the same whether 6 HP or 300 HP.----Wires might be a little different and easy to adapt.

mvanek21

Cadet
Coils are all the same from about 1979 to 98.----Also the same whether 6 HP or 300 HP.----Wires might be a little different and easy to adapt.
Thank you, its tough to find any applicable answers online with the age of these motors. Appreciate your help!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I started working on outboards in 1968.---Some issues are easy to solve on older motors.----Do yourself a favor and do a compression test on this motor.---Keep the actual values for future reference and post them here.

mvanek21

Cadet
I started working on outboards in 1968.---Some issues are easy to solve on older motors.----Do yourself a favor and do a compression test on this motor.---Keep the actual values for future reference and post them here.
I had compression of 105,108,105,107 a few days ago, I've read anywhere from 90-130 is ideal. I don't plan on touching anything with these.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would want to see 125 PSI or so.----If a motor was here at 105 PSI it would like be in line for major work.----But perhaps you have a bad gauge.

mvanek21

Cadet
I would want to see 125 PSI or so.----If a motor was here at 105 PSI it would like be in line for major work.----But perhaps you have a bad gauge.
at what point would you consider pulling the heads and changing gaskets, o rings, ect.?

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I'm a run it till it dies kinda guy but trying a new gauge is the best advice. If that doesn't check out then pull, flatin and change the head gaskets.

Lots online about using sandpaper to true them up.

Fish on!

cyclops222

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really like the fairly close compression readings. It shows aging. Have to find the electrical parts needed to get it running O K again. You can change those ignition parts. Change ALL the coils of all the cylinders at the same time. Should perk right up.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I really like the fairly close compression readings. It shows aging. Have to find the electrical parts needed to get it running O K again. You can change those ignition parts. Change ALL the coils of all the cylinders at the same time. Should perk right up.
I would have to agree.

mvanek21

Cadet
Same question goes for my rectifier/regulator. 1980 has two seperate units connected at the terminal block… 1986 model has a rectifier/regulator all in one with all the wires meeting up at its terminal block. Would this be a compatible swap if I am able to mount it somewhere safely on the motor? My regulator is bad and allowing the battery to receive too much voltage. I have a similar post out regarding this, I was hoping I’d be able to message you privately to ask you but hopefully this will do.IMG_6665.jpegIMG_6455.jpegIMG_6661.jpeg

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I believe that you need the same number of wires.

How much voltage did it get to.
Voltage rise should be fairly slow.

mvanek21

Cadet
I believe that you need the same number of wires.

How much voltage did it get to.
Voltage rise should be fairly slow.
It got up to 15.3 before i killed the motor, it seemed to go up faster from 12.8 to 14.2 and then kept creeping up. I had it at about 1500rpm the whole time with no changes to that

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The
Same question goes for my rectifier/regulator. 1980 has two seperate units connected at the terminal block… 1986 model has a rectifier/regulator all in one with all the wires meeting up at its terminal block. Would this be a compatible swap if I am able to mount it somewhere safely on the motor? My regulator is bad and allowing the battery to receive too much voltage. I have a similar post out regarding this, I was hoping I’d be able to message you privately to ask you but hopefully this will do.View attachment 396778View attachment 396779View attachment 396780

The short answer is no, you cannot because the rectifier/regulator combo on 1986 and later is a water cooled unit that goes on the position where the lift ring is fastened on SPL designated engines and many of the V4 crossflows before 1986.

1713098587089.png

If the mounting on that is the same, you will have to pull the flywheel to remove the lift ring and install the regulator. This is presuming you have the model that has the 10 amp stator for tilt and trim equipped model.

If you have the 6 amp stator, it would probably be best to just to get the CDI rectifier/regulator combo mentioned below.

10 amp stators would be better off using the rectifier/regulator that mounts where it gets cooled by the powerhead.

You can download their diagnostic guide for free without having to hunt down a service manual at this link, and this is the aftermarket model that combines rectifying and regulating that is best for the 6 amp stators.

mvanek21

Cadet
The

The short answer is no, you cannot because the rectifier/regulator combo on 1986 and later is a water cooled unit that goes on the position where the lift ring is fastened on SPL designated engines and many of the V4 crossflows before 1986.

View attachment 396826

If the mounting on that is the same, you will have to pull the flywheel to remove the lift ring and install the regulator. This is presuming you have the model that has the 10 amp stator for tilt and trim equipped model.

If you have the 6 amp stator, it would probably be best to just to get the CDI rectifier/regulator combo mentioned below.

10 amp stators would be better off using the rectifier/regulator that mounts where it gets cooled by the powerhead.

You can download their diagnostic guide for free without having to hunt down a service manual at this link, and this is the aftermarket model that combines rectifying and regulating that is best for the 6 amp stators.
Ive got the 3/9 stator with my model having power tilt and trim

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The water cooled rectifier / regulator will fit on the 1980 model V-4.

mvanek21

Cadet
The water cooled rectifier / regulator will fit on the 1980 model V-4.
is my 100hp model a 9 or 16 amp stator, power T&T... if i dont swap the regulated rectifier assembly from the 110 i was looking at an air cooled unit but want to make sure its the proper rated unit.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 1980 models with trim / tilt came with a 10 amp system.----But it is 40 years later.----No telling what is on there now.----Part # on your stator is ??