Random

dwco5051

Commander
What do the ships' crews do doing the long layover. If Baltimore is anything like I remember it from 60 years ago the bar girls on State Street could make enough to retire by the time the channel is open.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What do the ships' crews do doing the long layover. If Baltimore is anything like I remember it from 60 years ago the bar girls on State Street could make enough to retire by the time the channel is open.
State street?
The “Block”, now designated a National historical area, is on East Baltimore street.

Only a small portion of it still exists. A block, maybe block and a half at best. Used to go all the way down to Gay St.

dwco5051

Commander
State street?
The “Block”, now designated a National historical area, is on East Baltimore street.

Only a small portion of it still exists. A block, maybe block and a half at best. Used to go all the way down to Gay St.
My memory isn't what it used to be. State Street was RT 40 and was where I turned off the interstate to get my load. I seem to remember you could not drive a semi on city streets until after 7:00 am. If I was running early there was parking at the PA/MD line off the four lane so you could time your arrival. 1964-65 time frame.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My memory isn't what it used to be. State Street was RT 40 and was where I turned off the interstate to get my load. I seem to remember you could not drive a semi on city streets until after 7:00 am. If I was running early there was parking at the PA/MD line off the four lane so you could time your arrival. 1964-65 time frame.
Dont know about the noise ordinance. Grew up in the suburbs of Washington DC. Didnt move to the Baltimore area until the early 80’s.

Rt. 40 on the west side was replaced with Rt. 70 in the early 1970s.

What’s left of Rt.40 on the west side is called the Baltimore National Pike until you get in Catonsville where it becomes Edmonton Ave.

Changes over to Franklin and Mulberry St. at city limits. Your State street pickup is in this area.

Runs a bit as Orleans Ave., before ultimately becoming Pulaski Highway all the way to the Delaware line.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Went to the Marie Selby botanical gardens and saw this Rainbow Gum Tree. The colors in bark is really pretty and I thought wouldn't be great if the wood also had that color in it, can you imagine a table or bar top made out of that

Attachments

• 20240405_113108.jpg
    20240405_113108.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If that had happened to me, I'd IDLED back to the ramp and shakenly handed the keys to someone else to load up...