Hard to pull

Jamie Uist

Recruit
Hi , I have a mariner 40 two stroke, which I have just taken out of winter storage. Tried to start it and it is very difficult, very strong compression. Took the spark plugs out and it pulls easily, but once back in it will not pull quick enough to start. Any ideas what the problem is?

airshot

Rear Admiral
How strong are you ?....lol...in my younger days, pulling a 40 HP was easy, but at 74....no way. That is why electric start is so popular.. Unless you have a good set of arms, a 40 will be tough to get it spinning fast enough.

Jamie Uist

Recruit
How strong are you ?....lol...in my younger days, pulling a 40 HP was easy, but at 74....no way. That is why electric start is so popular.. Unless you have a good set of arms, a 40 will be tough to get it spinning fast enough.
I still have a good set of arms, had this engine for over ten years but it has never been as tough as this to pull. Might be an idea to get a new one with an electric starter but I would like to know what the problem is first.

Alumarine

Captain
You could remove the lower end and see if it's easy to pull then.
Would help to narrow things down.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I still have a good set of arms, had this engine for over ten years but it has never been as tough as this to pull. Might be an idea to get a new one with an electric starter but I would like to know what the problem is first.
If it was easier to pull in the past, then you might have an issue. Did you squirt some light oil into the cylinders and then turn it over ?

cyclops222

Chief Petty Officer
Quick check of EACH cylinder pressure.1 at a time. Put ONLY 1 plug in any cylinder. And pull to feel the amount of resistance. Remove THAT SAME sparkplug and put it in the other cylinder and do the pull. Are they different efforts ?

karayj

Chief Petty Officer
I had this happened in my mower ... Check the oil and see if it smells like gas. Also drain the oil if it needs an oil change and see if it easier Without fluids.